The Best Thanksgiving Recipes From Around the Web

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

I’ve been an on-again/off-again vegetarian for the past year or so, but I still love nothing more than chomping into a cheeseburger bigger than my face.  And, with Thanksgiving nearly upon us, I find myself daydreaming about that big beautiful turkey that’s waiting for me at home.

That being said, I realize that most of you ladies probably don’t have as large a penchant for animal protein as I do, so here’s a list I put together of my favorite meat-free Thanksgiving recipes from around the web.  If you’re strictly vegetarian, any one of these dishes is hearty enough to serve as your main course.  And if you’re not, then they’ll go great with the turkey.  MMMMM turkey.

Baked Brie En Croute

This first recipe – from Southern celeb chef Paula Deen, no less – is proof that “vegetarian” doesn’t always mean “healthy.”  Cheese, butter, and fluffy puff pastry come together in this ooey-gooey bundle of walnuts, brown sugar, and tangy Brie.  Served with a bottle of (cheap) red wine, this dish makes a sinfully simple starter.   

Source: newyorktimes.com

Roasted Squash Bruschetta

If you’re new to the idea of roasting vegetables, give this recipe a try.  Nearly any kind of vegetable can be roasted in the oven, but those with a high natural sugar content (sweet potatoes, fennel, onions, most varieties of squash) make the most delicious choices.  Roasting is also a great technique to get the most flavor out of your ingredients.  Throw in some caramelized onions and a layer of goat cheese and you’ve got another great appetizer.

(Vegan) Spicy Grain Soup

Most vegetarian recipes tend to use cheese as a crutch, but this next dish stands on its own, no dairy necessary.  Grain-based soups like this one are healthy and filling, and since it’s on the spicier side, it’ll make a great complement to heavier, traditional Thanksgiving dishes like mashed potatoes, stuffing, and green bean casserole.

Portobello Mushrooms Stuffed with Parmesan Whipped Potatoes

Speaking of mashed potatoes, don’t forget them!  This recipe doubles as both a side dish and an entrée.  Either follow the recipe (which asks you to stuff Portobello mushrooms with the potato mixture), or just serve the potatoes and forget the mushrooms altogether.  They’re great both ways. 

Quinoa Salad with Sweet Potatoes and Apples

If you’ve got health-conscious friends, serve them this.  It’s vegan and just about the healthiest (and tastiest) Thanksgiving recipe you’re ever going to find.  Also, keep in mind that it’s okay to have a few dishes with the same main ingredients, and it can even help to tie the various elements of your meal together.  As long as you prepare the ingredient in different ways, your dinner guests are hardly likely to notice.

Rum-Spiked Pumpkin Milkshakes (Recipe and photo courtesy of bonappetit.com)

Pumpkin pie may be the standard, but try and have some fun with your dessert.  Here’s an easy alternative that’ll satisfy your pumpkin fix and fill you with a bit of that “holiday feeling.”  All you have to do is combine canned pumpkin, ground nutmeg, vanilla ice cream, and milk in a mixer and blend until smooth.  For a real treat, add some rum to the mix as well (only if you’re 21, of course!).  

Hey, I'm Chris Baker and I just began writing for HerCampus at Pitt. I love God, my family and friends, sports, and my amazing fraternity, Pi Kappa Phi. I love to talk, write, and engage with people, in particular, I like to argue, haha. I love Pitt so if you go here and don't already know me, you should find me and get to know me! Contact me anytime at cbb17@pitt.edu,Thanks for reading!