This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pepperdine chapter.

I am the biggest fan of DIY projects, and this month is absolutely perfect for it. If you are looking for a gift and don’t have enough funds, you can make something instead. I always thought it nice and more meaningful when something is handcrafted. It shows that you invested thought and effort. Not that buying a gift is bad, but making something means that it is personalized. I love all DIY projects, and while yes, some are harder than others, attempting them is still fun and worthwhile. Here are some you can consider doing. If anything, Pinterest is always a go-to for inspiration.

Painted rocks are a pretty cool gift. I, myself did a paint stone as gift for my class. Each stone was designed differently. It’s very simple and easy as well. 

If you are looking for a gift to give to your significant other, here is a really cute present. You can either use a jar or a ziploc bag for this project. Several days ago, I bought some Swedish fish and put them in a ziploc bag. I also printed out a fish bowl and wrote a message on it placing that inside the bag as well. Then I picked blue paper and cut them into circles, to create bubbles. “Of all the fish in the sea, I’m glad you swam to me.” How sweet is this? 

Want to design a pillow? Well it’s easy and all you need is a white pillow. You can buy them at any store that sells them, ex: Michaels, Walmart, Target, etc. You will also need fabric markers in order to write or draw on the pillow. Make sure you have an idea in mind. It’s a fun and cool gift to give to someone. A pillow that is designed to you is special. I made one for my boyfriend this summer and he has it on his bed. 

Do you have old CDs that you no longer want to use. Instead of breaking them or throwing them away, create something with them. Here are several CD designs. They make awesome wall decorations.

Here are some more ideas to decorate your walls. The materials that you will need for this do not cost that much at all. You need toliet paper rolls, paint, and glue. It’s very simple and the design can be absolutely beautiful. You better start saving those paper toliet rolls. 

I’m sure you have a gift for your significant other already, but in case you don’t, here is a really thoughtful one. All you need is paper, pens, scissors, and something to hold all the cards together. Come up with something meaningful for each letter and than give it to your partner. 

I love drinking tea, so mugs are definitely my kind of gift. Get yourself a blank mug, paint, letters, and an idea and you will come up with something amazing. Furthermore, it’s something that’s practical that you know the receiver will use. Or you can make it for yourself. This is a cool idea to make with a couple of friends. 

Don’t want to spend a lot of money on a professional picture frame, well that’s understandable. Here is a simple project you can do for yourself or for someone else. You need to print out some pictures, have some glue, have paint, and your plaque. Cut those pictures out and paste them on. Let it dry and you’re done. 

I’ve never personally done this project, but it is on my list of DIY projects to do. You should give it a try and see what happens. Good luck! Just try not to crack the egg.

As I mentioned before, all these DIY projects are for you to try out. They are super fun and can be greast gifts. Good luck and have fun. 

Hola, mi llamo Marissa Hernandez. Hey, I'm Marissa Hernandez, and I am a senior studying Psychology at Pepperdine University. I am involved and an active member of Alpha Kappa Psi, Business Fraternity and I am currently working on campus through the theater department. I am very passionate about art and working with children. I hope to one day open my own center that is primarily focused on children and teens, through the involvement of art, sports, cooking, and other fun activities. I personally believe that community and communication with their peers who have similar interest, is the most effective way of therapy. Besides my personal interest in the future, in my free time I love to socialize with my friends, paint, eat food, and cook. I have a habit of having dinner parties every weekend about 10-15 of our closest friends, in which I cook large feast of Mexican food or other types of foods. I have an addiction to Sawtelle, in which you might catch my in the wee hours of the night getting Tatsu or wintermelon boba. I am pretty easy to find on campus, since I never go a day without wearing a single flower or a lot of flowers in my hair.