She Persisted: Freeform’s ‘The Bold Type’ Is Unapologetically Female

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

Freeform’s new show, The Bold Type officially premiers July 11th at 9 PM EST/8 PM PST, does more than just follow the stories of three best friends working for Scarlet Magazine, a global women’s magazine – it demonstrates the power of women.

The show tackles current issues such as the changing world of politics and business in the age of social media addressing issues of immigration rights and women’s rights. The trio of bad-ass women, who are the focus of the show, navigate the rabbit hole that is love and heartbreak and explore the fluidity of identity.

The writers take on these serious issues with humor, heart and plenty of sass. This is highlighted early on in the pilot episode during a scene that takes place in a business meeting where pitches for the latest issue are being discussed. An editor mentions that an upcoming article about a Muslim lesbian photographer is being pulled from the issue Kat (Aisha Dee), Scarlet’s no-nonsense driven social media director, interjects. Unphased by the stares of disapproval from the sea of white men taking up the conference room, she says, “I think this story is worth fighting for. It’s click gold for us. It hits all of our boxes, no pun intended. It’s feel-good. It’s sexy, just the right amount of political.”

The Bold Type proves to be a standout because of the strongly written script and multi-faceted characters who are current and refreshingly honest. Though at first glance, watching the hectic yet glamorous world of Scarlet Magazine unfold onscreen is reminiscent of The Devil Wears Prada, the characters could not be more different. Jane, brought to life by Faking It’s Katie Stevens, is not another Andy Sachs. Jane is a newly promoted writer at the magazine who possesses incredible drive and heart, seen in her desire to impress her boss with a successful piece by taking a leap and confronting heartbreak. Sutton (Meghann Fahy), an assistant at the magazine, may first be dismissed as just the assistant who’s hooking up with a member of the board of directors, Richard (Sam Page). Though she may be slut-shamed, Sutton knows her worth and demands respect – respect from Richard to be treated as more than an object and respect from her friends and society that she’s free to revel in her own sexual liberation. Carina MacKenzie, writer for The Originals, brilliantly sheds light on how Melora Hardin’s character Jacqueline, editor-in-chief of Scarlet, is a mentor who is all about empowering other women, not tearing them down:

https://twitter.com/cadlymack/status/877276776245755904

The Bold Type brings television unapologetically females’ in both delivery and essence showing audiences that a woman can be anything and everything – no limitations. Beyond the importance of women’s empowerment, it sheds light on the current urgency of staying attentive to the affairs of our country and how necessary it is to let the world know what matters to you.

https://twitter.com/robwethington91/status/877356931341459456

Anna Sejuelas is a feminist, poet, and senior at Pace University in New York City, pursuing a double major in English Language and Literature and Women’s Studies. Anna was born and raised in New York City, which is her first love. When she’s not writing poetry or writing articles for HC Pace, Medium, or FLURT Magazine, she can be found singing everything from arias to rap.
Hey guys, my name is Cas. I am a Senior at Pace Univeristy on the NYC campus. I am currently working on a dual degree in Communications and Fine Arts. I've been working with some friends of mine to start up our own creative platform called FUNKNVIBE. It's basically a way for artists, musicians, film makers and any creative minds to collaborate and create. When I'm not volunteering or with my FNV family I'm reading, dancing or working on my latest art piece. I hope to own and design my own publication showcasing the culture around me. I have a personal blog as well as my Her Campus page. I recently started up a blog with FunknVibe so definitely check it out!  I started out as the secretary at for HCPace but moved my way to VP and CC to now President. I love being able to give students on my campus a voice and connect new students to some type of a community. Her Campus has allowed me to organize myself better and find out what goes into running an organization. It's been an absolute joy and I hope for my last year we have one of the best!