The NYC Festival You Don’t Want To Miss This Weekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

This weekend marks the 35th annual cherry blossom festival known as Sakura Matsuri at the Brooklyn Botanic Gardens. The festival draws thousands of people from all over the world together to celebrate traditional and contemporary Japanese culture. Seeing the beautiful cherry blossom trees in full bloom is a New York City springtime staple.

There will be over 60 different events happening within the gardens including a series of performances by various music groups, stand up comics, and martial arts masters. You can even partake in a traditional Japanese tea ceremony over at the Brooklyn Botanic Garden tea center. Also, throughout the day, there will be select authors doing book signings and various artists presenting their Japanese artwork. If you’re a foodie like me, you’ll definitely want to check out the Japanese Market at the Osborne Garden J-Lounge. All day you’ll be able to indulge in traditional Japanese treats including chocolate and matcha from Hokkaido, Japan, and small-batch chocolates inspired by Japanese culinary traditions.

***It is recommended you purchase your ticket ahead of time online so you can skip long lines. Make sure to take advantage of the generous student discount! For more info you can visit their website here.  

When: Saturday, April 30 and Sunday, May 1, @ 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.

Where: Brooklyn Botanic Garden @ 990 Washington Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11225

Hey Everyone:) I am a Philadelphia native with a love for NYC. I am currently a communications major and a digital media studies minor at Pace University. I am a health and fitness enthusiast. I also volunteer with Reading Partners and Jumpstart. In my free time I love writing, traveling, rap music, and shopping.
Her Campus Pace Contributor