My Love-Hate Relationship with Meal Planning

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxford Emory chapter.

I love to eat. Since I was a little kid, I could put away more food than a grown man, but unlike most people my age, when I don’t work out, it shows. I hit the gym or the road (for running of course) at least 3 times a week, sometimes for hours on end. It is very hard to find the time to do this, but sometimes it is also hard to find time doing one of the things I love most…eating! Eating shouldn’t be a pain for me, but it really is sometimes. My appetite is low with the amount of fluids I take in every day and I know I need to eat so I can have a productive workout.

I’ve been looking into meal-prepping for months now and each time I’ve put it off! I keep telling myself that I don’t have the time, money, or mini-fridge space (which has slightly proven true) to do meal prepping, but in the last 3 weeks of my fitness journey, which does actually have a name (My Little Fit Life) and I document every bit of it because I’m a blogger, I decided to push myself. I started meal-prepping last week and my gosh, I’ve had a tumultuous week! It’s been a rollercoaster, but definitely a good and bad one! 

What I Love about Meal-Prepping: 

It makes my life so easy!! I can wake up in the morning and grab a juice smootie mix that I’ve premade or just pour yougurt into the premade granola I whipped up and go! It’s easy to grab and warm instead of waiting in a 20 minute line between classes and I’ve managed to fill these boxes with some of my favorites. I love knowing that this will help me see the gains and weight loss that I’m looking for with my new fitness goals. Meal-Prepping is a challenge that I didn’t think I’d ever be up for, and ever accomplish. I’ve managed to do something new that pushes me out of my comfort zone and tests the true limits of my body. 

What I Hate about Meal-Prepping: 

There are a lot of times between meals where I get hungry! The foodie in me says “Run for the Lays!,” but my fitness concience says grab a piece of fruit or drink more water. Because of how controlled the portions are, I often find that I feel tired when I work out because my body hasn’t become used to the lower calorie intake. I’m pretty sure by the end of this entire process, I’m never going to want to eat chicken, broccoli, rice, quinoa, or sweet potatoes ever again. My limited college budget of both money and time have made it hard to experiment, but I’m excited to try new things once school is done for the semester. 

That’s the low down on my thoughts about meal-prepping! I really do love it and when I’m studying for finals and churning out a paper, I really do appreciate how quick and easy it makes my life! If you’re looking into it, check Pinterest for recipe ideas because there are loads to choose from! 

Image Credits: Image 1 (Peanut Butter and Fitness), Image 2, Image 3 (both from Pexels)

Jordan Chapman

Oxford Emory

Jordan Chapman is a visual art and international studies major with a French minor at Emory University. As a second year student, she's incredibly busy, but when you add jetsetting and writing a blog (in addition to a Youtube channel), her life is more busy than you may think. When she isn't watching Stranger Things or writing blog posts, she's in class or sending emails, with the dream of being the next big editor or fashion blogger. As a future London expat and wanderlust victim, she visits the land across the pond quite frequently along with many other places in Europe frequently, just hoping that life will take her somewhere fun and exciting.