7 Trips to Take from Oxford

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxford Emory chapter.

Not gonna lie, we all love Oxford, BUT sometimes we need a break from the madness! Here are 7 quick trips you can take when you want to escape Oxford for a bit! 

1. Dahlonega

This is one of my favorite places to spend a weekend in Georgia. Good food, stunning national parks, mountains to hike, rivers to raft on, and musicians lingering on every street corner… I love this town! It is a small town but it has its charms. In the fall, you can go to the neighbouring town of Ellijay to pick some of the best apples grown around. This place holds a special place in my heart and I highly recommend a day or weekend trip up there in North Georgia.

2. Helen

For a Germanic vibe, take a trip up to Helen! The architecture, the food, the mountain views – it’s a one-of-a-kind town in the South that you should definitely take the time to visit! 

3. Athens

Besides being home to the Dawgs, Athens is just a cute town to hang out and grab lunch or a cup of coffee. It’s an artsy town with a plethora of cute shops and galleries to explore. If you want a cute day out with friends, venture out to Athens

4. Callaway Gardens

When the weather warms up, take a trip out to Callaway Gardens! Spend the day enjoying the great outdoors with the famously beautiful park grounds and lake activities. It’s about an hour’s drive from Atlanta and is a great choice for those who just want to take time to relax in the great outdoors.

5. Stone Mountain

Another great choice for the outdoorsy types and just forty minutes from campus! Get a group of friends together and hike this famous Georgia landmark. 

6. Augusta

If you’re into golf, you should head over to Augusta to check out Masters.

7. Six Flags Over Georgia

A short drive from campus, but a great day spent with friends! Six Flags is a great idea to have a fun day out. Enjoy the rides, carnival vibes, and junk food stations.

Emily Macdonald

Oxford Emory '18

As a Political Science Major and a French Minor, I have big dreams of making a positive difference in the world. In 2017, I had the incredible honor of being named Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus at the Oxford College of Emory University alongside Marine Bruno. Although I graduated from Oxford College, I will always have fond memories of my time with Her Campus. Even as I move on to a new phase in my life, I look forward to watching Her Campus at Oxford Emory grow!