Five Tips to Avoid Procrastination

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

Maybe just one more episode . . .

We’ve all had this thought before. Just one more episode. Just one more song. Or, “Oh, it isn’t due until next week! I’ve got time.” Let’s face it, we are all guilty of procrastination, especially as college students. There’s so many things to do; from clubs, to sports, to hanging out with friends, it can be hard to make yourself sit down and do that huge English essay that’s due next Friday. It’s so easy to get distracted in college, so here are five ways to buckle down and get your studying done:

1. Put your phone away

Yes. Really. The first and best way to not let yourself get distracted is to put your phone some place where you can’t see it. You’re less likely to check Instagram every five minutes if your phone is out of your hand when you’re studying. If you’re one of those people who absolutely cannot let go of their phone, or just use it for music, try turning on “Do Not Disturb” (if you have an iPhone) or muting all sounds so your notifications don’t distract you while you’re working. It sounds painful, but the pain will be way worth the A you’ll get after a hard study session!

2. Find a quiet, private place

People are just as distracting as phones. While some people can work just fine with others around them, some can’t. They get distracted too easily and end up playing ping-pong in the lounge instead of doing their History homework. Find a place where you can go that has minimal distractions and noise. Your best option is probably the library, but most residence halls have quiet study lounges where you can go to a distraction-free zone. And a plus side to studying in your res hall is you don’t have to leave the building!

3. Divide up your reading

We all dread readings. Most of the time they can seem like a drag if done all in one sitting. To help with the monotony, a good strategy to try is to divide up the number of pages you have to read by the number of days until it is due. So, if you have 35 pages of Jane Eyre to read and it’s due in five days, try reading seven pages a day. The reading will be more bearable in small increments and you’ll have more time to do work for other classes instead of dedicating a whole day to one reading. Bonus: This can also apply to essays! If you have a big essay coming up, try planning it out. Do an outline one day, write a few paragraphs for the next, and keep going until the due date. You’ll feel less stressed.

4. Turn off the TV

Some people like background noise when working and even work better if something is playing while they read or write. However, many of us can succumb to watching a Netflix movie that we put on as ‘background noise.’ If you’re prone to watching the TV instead of doing your work, turn it off. Have your roommate or housemate take the remote away from you, or put it away like you would with your phone. After all: out of sight, out of mind.

5. Use sticky notes

A good method to prevent procrastination is to see the big picture; that is, to see all of your assignments laid out in front of you. You’re more inclined to do your work if you see everything you have to accomplish for the week. Try writing down on sticky notes what you have due each week, along with its deadline. This is beneficial because it creates a visual representation of all you have to do, so you’re less inclined to put it all off. Another perk of this strategy is the feeling of accomplishment when you cross an assignment out – it motivates you to keep going, so eventually you’ll have everything on the list crossed off. If you follow these tips, maybe you won’t be saying, “Maybe just one more episode” instead of doing your work.

Katie Short

Oswego '18

Katie is a recent graduate of SUNY Oswego, where she double-majored in Creative Writing and Political Science and a minor in Journalism. She was the Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Oswego as well as a Chapter Advisor. Katie hopes to get a job in writing, editing or social media.