Cinco de Mayo: Fun Ways to Celebrate!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

I’ll admit that I’ve never celebrated Cinco de Mayo. While the holiday falls on a Thirsty Thursday this year, and students will find any excuse to party, try these ways to celebrate the day, collegiettes™.

Before I list my suggestions, here is a quick history lesson for those of you with little knowledge on the holiday’s background. Cinco de Mayo (Spanish for “the fifth of May”) celebrates the victory of the Mexican army over the French at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862. It is a special day for many Mexicans around the world to celebrate their ancestry, but today, more and more people of different backgrounds also enjoy it.

The go-to ideas for celebrating Cinco de Mayo include drinking a margarita or making a plate of nachos – but come on. We can do numerous, much more creative things to bring out our festive side.

1. Cook an authentic Mexican dinner.

No, not Taco Bell or Burrito Boy. How about making a homemade dish? Chiles rellenos are a great meal and taste even better than fast food, if you use Poblano peppers instead of more commonly used flavorful green peppers. Check out this recipe for Killer Chiles Rellenos. For dessert, how about making your own fried ice cream? It’s actually not as hard as it sounds and can even be considered healthy.

2. Listen to some salsa music!

What better way to get into a celebratory mood than by listening to la musica? Play it in the car for your own personal dance party, on your iPod in between classes, or at your own get together that night. People tend to loosen up when they hear fun music, so don’t be afraid to turn it up! Some recommendations: “La Receta” by Los Cafres, “La Camisa Negra” by Juanes, or Kemo The Blaxican’s “La Receta.” All have a great beat and will have you dancing and in a great mood in no time!

3. Play Mexican Bingo, and bet money.

An oldie but a goodie, bingo is a great game to play with your friends, and Mexican Bingo (sometimes known as Loteria) is no different. Someone calls out the cards, while everyone places beans or pennies on the colorful characters on their card. Characters that pop up are La Serena, the mermaid, and El Boracho, the stumbling drunk. Play a full card, or a straight, diagonal, horizontal, or vertical line. The first person to fill their card wins!

Of course, bingo is even better when you bet money. Try betting just a dollar or two at first, so you don’t break the bank, and then increase the amount if everyone agrees. At the end of the night, someone might go home rich!

4. Mix some (non-alcoholic) drinks!

If you haven’t tried an Agua Fresca, proceed to the nearest supermarket for these ingredients: fruit (strawberries, papaya, melon), sugar, and lime juice. Add water, mix it all up in a blender, and drink up. Click here for an agua fresca recipe.

No matter what you like to do for fun, you’re bound to find something to do on the 5th. Don’t feel pressured to host a huge full on party. Just keep it simple with your boyfriend or some of your closest girlfriends!

(Photo credit: Gato Azul)

Serena Piper will always be a Southern belle at heart, but for now she is a Senior Magazine Journalism student at the University of Oregon. She is an avid news reader and watcher, loves to bake yummy desserts and watch Sex and the City reruns, has big travel plans for after graduation and would eventually like to work for National Geographic. She wouldn't mind one bit if her life echoed Elizabeth Gilbert's in Eat, Pray, Love. To find out what Serena is up to, check out her blog and follow her on Twitter
A University of Oregon junior and San Francisco native, Charmaine Ng loves authentic noodle dishes and will always opt for Asian and Italian cuisine when pressed to choose a restaurant. She is a self-proclaimed "noodler," someone who uses her noodle to collaborate with others and bring big ideas to life. She interns for a student-run full-service ad agency, blogs for a wedding and event planning company, and runs the UO Muggle Quidditch League. In her spare time, she sleeps, and sleeps, and sleeps - and dabbles in social media and blogging, her two biggest passions. Her quirkiness isn't apparent at first, but then she starts talking about packaging design and making funny faces, and you wonder what happened to that shy Asian girl you first met. With ambition bursting beyond the campus walls, Charmaine can't wait to graduate and work for an agency, company, or publication in community outreach efforts using social media.