you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

10 Websites That Can Help You Find an Internship You Will Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OR State chapter.

Searching for an internship can seem overwhelming, leaving you with no idea where to even start off. On top of that, you don’t want to get stuck with an internship you hate. You’ve read the horror stories online and you will do anything to not end up in their shoes. Well lucky for you, we have ten awesome websites that can help narrow down your search for an internship you will surely love. 

1.  Her Campus – Careerette

Our very own Her Campus website has a career and internship resource called Careerette. There are opportunities listed nationally in journalism, PR, and fashion. As listings are posted, this resource continues to grow.

2. Intern Queen

Lauren Berger, the Intern Queen, completed 15 internships during her college career and in doing so realized there needed to be a better online resource for finding such opportunities. Her site helps you limit your search by industry, semester/term, title, and location. There are opportunities in hospitality, PR, marketing, fashion, law, and so much more! The company also hosts Intern Queen Parties where there are career panels, networking opportunities, free products, and entertainment. The parties are currently only held in the NYC, DC, and Chicago area, but they are hoping to reach more cities in the future. Until then, Lauren has a couple of published books and numerous blog posts you can check out for advice.

3. Summerinternships.com

If you’d like to participate in a Dream Careers program, which guarantees you an internship in a city of your choice with career prep programs, a dining plan, special events, and transportation, then this is the right site for you. To learn more read this recent HC Oregon State article on the subject: http://www.hercampus.com/school/or-state/what-its-be-dreamer

4. Barefoot Student

On this site you can post a resume and a list of skills for employers to find, as well as search for available jobs. This website lists jobs and internships in 192 countries in any industry you could possibly imagine. The search tool is easy to use and a simplified alternative to sites like LinkedIn.

5. Internships.com

This website, brought to you by Chegg, a resource for finding cheap textbooks, gives you another search tool to use in finding your perfect internship. You can limit your search by category, location, time period, or company. There are also additional resources such as the Internship Predictor, which you should definitely try out. The Predictor looks at what factors are more important to you, like practicality, earnings, bonuses, efficiency, knowledge and more, to help you find the right fit for your internship.

6.  Idealist

This site is based in Portland and all about providing information regarding jobs and internships in the non-profit sector. The site currently has more than 2,000 internship listings worldwide, which is constantly growing bigger. Some sample opportunities include fundraising for the National Hispanic Council on Aging and an internship at the progressive Nation magazine.

7. Experience.com

This website is great because it has a direct connection to colleges and universities. It has career and internship articles, tips on cover letters and resumes, and is updated daily. You can make an account using your school email address and it will then give you information about job fairs locally and employers relevant to you. You have to be a member of the website to apply for jobs listed but to have this valuable website at your fingertips it’s worth it!

8. Media Bistro

Media Bistro is all about promoting jobs and internships in the print and virtual media industry. Along with its search tool for jobs and internships, it gives you news articles, in-depth information about companies you may be interested in, and trending topics relevant to the industry.  

9.  SDHE Internship Program

If you’re in the School of Design and Human Environment at Oregon State, meaning you are a Graphic Design, Interior Design, Apparel Design or Merchandising Management major. This website is where you should start looking for an internship after you take DHE 300, the prep class. There are many opportunities listed on the site: paid, unpaid, locally, and nationally. You could be working in a studio, a retail store, an office, or even right on campus. The site also gives you past internship testimonials, career resources, and frequently updated event information for the College of Business which can help you with networking and making the most of what Oregon State has to offer. 

If you aren’t in this program at OSU, make sure to check with your specific college to see if they have a list-serve email or website that lists internship opportunities. 

10. LinkedIn

LinkedIn can be helpful to your internship search in many ways. It has a job search tool that includes not only jobs, but internships as well. Also, you can message people you have made connections with if you think they may be able to help you with your search. Joining groups that are of professional interest to you can also help, as employers may post internship listings in the group. You may be able to connect with them through discussions or shared interests, too. Keep your profile updated and relevant and this could be a great tool for you. 

Happy hunting, Collegiettes!

Madeline is a Senior at Oregon State majoring in Merchandising Management and minoring in writing. She was the 2016-'17 president of Chi Theta Phi, a local design sorority on campus. If she's not in class, at a club meeting, chapter, or writing, she's probably spending time with her family, friends, walking her dogs, eating junk food, or watching too many crime, comedy, or fashion shows on Netflix. She likes cheese, dogs, creative projects, obnoxious animal prints, garage sales, farmer's markets, and generally just being silly.