Chancellor to Discuss SUNY’s Role in Regional Economy with Business Leaders at SUCO

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oneonta chapter.

State University of New York Chancellor Nancy L. Zimpher will speak before the chambers of commerce from Otsego, Delaware, Schoharie and Chenango counties at a special meeting hosted by SUNY Oneonta on May 25. Attendees of the event, called an Economic Development Summit Luncheon, will hear about SUNY’s vision to invigorate New York.

The luncheon will feature a panel discussion regarding economic development, which is the central goal of the state university’s strategic plan. Announced last April, “The Power of SUNY,” charts a course for public higher education that calls for strengthening relationships between businesses and campuses statewide.

SUNY Oneonta President Nancy Kleniewski said while the
campus is the second largest employer in Otsego County with over 1,250 positions, its impact extends far beyond jobs.

“Our campus makes several unique contributions to the regional economy. Not only do our 6,000 students buy goods and services locally, they also perform more than $1 million-worth of volunteer service annually,” said President Kleniewski. “We’re also a resource for local governments, offering research and policy advice through our Center for Economic and Community Development. Assets and expertise like these set us apart from other organizations.”

SUNY Delhi President Candace S. Vancko said that her college’s impact across the region also is significant in both terms of dollars and other contributions.

“SUNY Delhi is one of Delaware County’s major economic engines, last year pumping more than $45 million into the local economy,” said President Vancko. “I am also very proud of the many contributions our faculty, staff and students make to enhancing the social, cultural, educational and recreational vitality of our region.”

The Chancellor has met with several business associations, chambers of commerce, and other interested groups across New York to discuss and gather feedback on SUNY’s strategic plan since its launch last spring. Earlier this year, Governor Andrew M. Cuomo called for the creation of regional economic development councils across the state and asked SUNY to provide leadership for each of them. Governor Cuomo and Chancellor Zimpher announced NYSUNY 2020 earlier this month, which will align better the state university with the business community, making SUNY a catalyst for job growth throughout the state.

Tiina is a hard working care-free girl who likes to work, travel, and spend time with friends in her spare time. Most people call her a 'work-aholic' since she is always busy with school, an internship, and job, but when not busy with those activities, Tiina is always living life to the fullest with her friends. Being a 'chill' and laid back person, Tiina enjoys being fully active when it comes to playing and watching sports, but also enjoys just staying home and watching movies with friends. Tiina is a Communication Studies major with two minors in Advertising, which she hopes to follow in the future, and Apparel & Textiles at SUNY Oneonta.