Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

One Day's Worth of Budget-Friendly Meals

What I’ve found to be so simple yet, so challenging, in college is feeding myself. Gone are the times when healthy, Mom-cooked meals showed up on my dinner table, and now I find myself needing to find nourishment that won’t contribute to the Freshman –or, Senior-- 15 and doesn’t break the bank.
Here are some staples of mine that I want to share with HC girls who are looking for simple things to cook that beat McDonald’s in the nutrition department.

BREAKFAST/SNACK: No-bake granola balls
I’ve spent hours comparing countless granola bar boxes looking for the healthiest choice, until recently I discovered I can make my own! This is a great snack because it is easily customizable (for other picky eaters out there) and you don’t even need an oven.

Ingredients:
1 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup peanut butter (I use Smucker’s Natural Creamy)
1/3 cup honey
1 cup dried/toasted coconut flakes
1/2 cup shelled sunflower seeds
1/2 chocolate chips
1 tsp vanilla

Mix everything in a medium bowl until thoroughly incorporated.  Let chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. Once chilled, roll into balls and enjoy!  Store in an airtight container and keep refrigerated for up to 1 week.

Note: You can substitute anything for the dry items, such as dried cranberries/raisins, nuts, cereal etc… Likewise, you can leave anything out except for the peanut butter and honey because that’s what makes it all stick together. Feel free to go crazy with this one!

Pages

You Might Also Like...
Fill out my online form.