Oklahoma Organizations Focus On Domestic Violence Awareness Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oklahoma chapter.

On the surface, Oklahoma may seem like a safe place to live. Although many rural parts of the state have low crime rates, Oklahoma as a whole, lends itself to some startling statistics.

Last year, Forbes Magazine released its list of the most dangerous cities in America. After combining FBI crime rates with data from deadly car crashes, Tulsa ranked number six on the list, while Oklahoma City followed closely at number nine.

In a September 2011 report released by the Violence Policy Center in Washington D.C., Oklahoma ranked number 11 out of 50 states for domestic violence. Since all states define domestic violence differently, the study focused solely on men who murder women; the factor being fairly accurate, since 85% of domestic violence is committed against women.

In honor of Domestic Violence Awareness Month, organizations throughout the state are working hard to shed light on the horrific issue.

[pagebreak]
Earlier this month, the attorney general’s office partnered with Verizon Wireless, YWCA Oklahoma City, and the Oklahoma Coalition Against Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault (OCADVSA) to host Oklahoma City’s annual dome lighting ceremony. On Oct. 5,  the dome of the state capitol was lit in purple, the color that represents domestic violence awareness. The dome lighting was held only a few weeks after Oklahoma’s Annual Domestic and Sexual Violence Conference, which brings together victims advocates and survivors of domestic and sexual violence, as well as law enforcement and the medical communities looking to end domestic and sexual violence throughout the state.

In a campaign running through the end of the month, “A Home for Hope” poster project is provided for children who receive services from certified domestic violence providers. The project aims to teach children how to tell police officers, teachers, or other family members if they or someone in their home is being abused.

The latest event to take place is “Telling Amy’s Story: Raising Awareness Against Domestic Violence,” which is tonight at 7:30p.m., in the Molly Shi Boren Ballroom in the Oklahoma Memorial Union at the University of Oklahoma’s Norman Campus.

[pagebreak]
Telling Amy’s Story

The highlight of the event is a screening of the documentary “Telling Amy’s Story,” which chronicles the life and death of a domestic violence victim in Pennsylvania.

Amy Homan McGee was a Verizon Wireless employee and mother of two, who was shot and killed by her husband, Vincent McGee, in their home on November 8, 2001. Vincent McGee is currently serving a life sentence for Amy’s murder.

Amy’s death was not a solitary event. Like it is for so many others, this was the final act after years of abuse. Unlike many others, Amy did everything right. She reached out to her family, friends, employers, and law enforcement on a number of occasions, but in the end, she was unable to escape the violence.

After her death, domestic violence prevention became a core initiative of the Verizon Foundation. Partnering with Penn State Public Broadcasting, Verizon put together the documentary, which follows the timeline of Amy McGee’s homicide. Hosted by actress and domestic violence advocate Mariska Hargitay and told by Detective Deirdri Fishel, with commentary from Amy’s parents, friends, co-workers, law enforcement officials, the film focuses on the time leading up to her death.

[pagebreak]
Why Should You Care?

According to the U.S. Department of Justice, one in four women will experience domestic violence in her lifetime. “Last year in Oklahoma, there were more than 25,000 domestic violence calls to law enforcement and 75 deaths due to domestic violence,” said the Office of the Oklahoma Attorney General.

Marcia Smith, Executive Director of the Oklahoma Coalition Against Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault (OCADVSA), encourages people to attend events like “Telling Amy’s Story” and others throughout the state.

“Concerned citizens can offer resources,” Smith said. “Victims become isolated and don’t realize where they can go for help. If the people around them know what signs to look for, they can offer that help.”

The OCADVSA offers a variety of programs this month, which aim to teach people how to become educated bystanders. One of the most important aspects the Coalition focuses on is educating men and young people.

“We like to work with young children, since we know bullying is usually co-occurring with or a gateway to domestic violence and sexual assault,” Smith said. “Our goal is prevention. By stopping these habits in the first place, it won’t lead to further violence later on.”

Smith noted that domestic violence is an intergenerational issue, which costs the United States roughly $5.8 billion each year. “Prevention is both an individual and a societal issue. It is important to educate individuals before society as a whole can change.”

The statewide number for domestic violence is 1-800-522-SAFE (7233). The referral and information line is available 24/7 in 300 languages.

If you or someone you know is in a violent situation, you are encouraged to use these resources.

Smith said she cannot recall a single incident where a woman went to a shelter and then had the violence continue. Statistics show that when people go to shelters, the violence ends.

For help or to report abuse, more information or resources on domestic violence and sexual assault, or events coming up this month visit any of the following websites: Oklahoma Coalition Against Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault, Oklahoma Domestic Violence Help, Oklahoma Attorney GeneralWomen’s Outreach Center, YWCA Oklahoma City, National Center on Domestic and Sexual Violence, or the Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network.

Kali Carter is a senior at the University of Oklahoma, majoring in Public Relations. Kali is a member of the Alpha Chi Omega sorority, where she has held a number of officer positions, including an executive position as the Vice President of Membership Development. She has worked as a news desk reporter for the Oklahoma Daily newspaper, served as the Treasurer of the Student Society of Professional Journalists and is a member of the Public Relations Student Society of America. Kali currently balances her time working as the Marketing Assistant for an independent insurance agency and an Account Lead at the Lindsey + Asp Advertising and Public Relations Agency in the journalism college. Aside from working and spending time with friends and family, her greatest passions in life are writing and traveling. Kali has studied abroad in Peru, Chile, and Puerto Rico, and spent a summer blogging and living in San Francisco. Upon her graduation in December 2011, Kali does not intend to return to her hometown of Tulsa, Okla. Instead, she hopes to spend the next year or two traveling the world, writing, and volunteering, before eventually settling down in New York City.