Oklahoma Organizations Focus On Domestic Violence Awareness Month

Posted -

On the surface, Oklahoma may seem like a safe place to live. Although many rural parts of the state have low crime rates, Oklahoma as a whole, lends itself to some startling statistics.

Last year, Forbes Magazine released its list of the most dangerous cities in America. After combining FBI crime rates with data from deadly car crashes, Tulsa ranked number six on the list, while Oklahoma City followed closely at number nine.

In a September 2011 report released by the Violence Policy Center in Washington D.C., Oklahoma ranked number 11 out of 50 states for domestic violence. Since all states define domestic violence differently, the study focused solely on men who murder women; the factor being fairly accurate, since 85% of domestic violence is committed against women.

In honor of Domestic Violence Awareness Month, organizations throughout the state are working hard to shed light on the horrific issue.

Pages

Get more HC!

Get the best of Her Campus, right in your inbox! Learn more.

About The Author

Kali Carter is a senior at the University of Oklahoma, majoring in Public Relations. Kali is a member of the Alpha Chi Omega sorority, where she has held a number of officer positions, including an executive position as the Vice President of Membership Development. She has worked as a news desk reporter for the Oklahoma Daily newspaper, served as the Treasurer of the Student Society of Professional Journalists and is a member of the Public Relations Student Society of America. Kali currently balances her time working as the Marketing Assistant for an independent insurance agency and an Account Lead at the Lindsey + Asp Advertising and Public Relations Agency in the journalism college. Aside from working and spending time with friends and family, her greatest passions in life are writing and traveling. Kali has studied abroad in Peru, Chile, and Puerto Rico, and spent a summer blogging and living in San Francisco. Upon her graduation in December 2011, Kali does not intend to return to her hometown of Tulsa, Okla. Instead, she hopes to spend the next year or two traveling the world, writing, and volunteering, before eventually settling down in New York City.