An Oklahoma Girl’s Thoughts on Joining the Dots Fashion Revolution

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oklahoma chapter.

Over the summer, the fashionable, yet affordable, clothing store Dots opened a new location in Norman. The store tagline is “Love the Looks. Love the Prices,” so I took my friend Jackie along for a shopping trip to see if her opinion of the store matched the slogan.

When you walk into Dots, you’re
immediately greeted by a friendly sales associate willing to help you with what you’re looking for. We decided to wander around so we could check it all out. Both Jackie and I were pleasantly surprised by how clean and organize the store was, especially since trendy stores are usually a mess because people tend to throw things everywhere. Jackie loved that everything in the store was colorful and eye-catching. The merchandise was much cheaper than she thought it would be for such a trendy store. Jackie found lots of cute accessories, mostly for $10 and under, and I fell in love with a pair of cognac colored knee-high flat boots that were LESS THAN $25 (*Swoon*)!

For all the collegiette’s who aren’t exactly the next Rachel Zoe, the Dots website has ideas on how to style outfits. The pictures have prices next to the mannequin, as well as a model wearing the look so you can see what the items look like on an actual person. Personally, I absolutely canNOT wait for the later-season fall coats to come out because, seriously, where else can you get an ever-classic houndstooth jacket for $29.80?! I’m also in love with the precious plaid jacket featured in the pic. The cropped full sleeves and wide lapel are perfect for the crazy Oklahoma weather, since it has a fall look, but is not as warm as an actual winter coat. Oklahoma usually doesn’t start getting consistently chilly until November, so it still mixes well with the fall style.

If the prices make you as giddy as they did us,  you should attend TONIGHT’s Fashion Party, which features a Fall Fashion Hunt that allows you to explore Dots’ low prices while styling an outfit! This fashion hunt is nothing like scouring your Grandma’s closet for high heels back in 1997. For each item you cross off card, you get points. Once you finish your fashion hunt, you turn it into a box. If you have the highest point value, you’ll win a Dots giftcard. Even if you’re not stylistically gifted, you could still win a giftcard valued between $25 and $100! Go anytime between 5:30-7:30p.m. to check out the deals. For more information and times on the party, find the event in our Upcoming Events section.

Whether or not you can make it to the party, go check out the store when you get a chance. Dots in Norman is located at2226 24th Ave NW, just north of Target, the shopping center, and Academy Sports & Outdoors. Our Her Campus Oklahoma verdict is we DO love the looks and the prices, and we know you’ll love them too!

Kali Carter is a senior at the University of Oklahoma, majoring in Public Relations. Kali is a member of the Alpha Chi Omega sorority, where she has held a number of officer positions, including an executive position as the Vice President of Membership Development. She has worked as a news desk reporter for the Oklahoma Daily newspaper, served as the Treasurer of the Student Society of Professional Journalists and is a member of the Public Relations Student Society of America. Kali currently balances her time working as the Marketing Assistant for an independent insurance agency and an Account Lead at the Lindsey + Asp Advertising and Public Relations Agency in the journalism college. Aside from working and spending time with friends and family, her greatest passions in life are writing and traveling. Kali has studied abroad in Peru, Chile, and Puerto Rico, and spent a summer blogging and living in San Francisco. Upon her graduation in December 2011, Kali does not intend to return to her hometown of Tulsa, Okla. Instead, she hopes to spend the next year or two traveling the world, writing, and volunteering, before eventually settling down in New York City.