The End of an Era

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oklahoma chapter.

When I first came to the University of Oklahoma, I had no idea how fast the next four years of my life would go by. Last fall, I began what was supposed to be my final year of college. After a last minute major change, I realized I would end up staying in school for a semester longer than the standard four years. As my best friends started graduating last December, I quickly accepted the fact that I would not have to leave my college bubble just yet.

I’ve spent a lot of time over the past year thinking about my future. I have always seen myself living somewhere outside Oklahoma, and even though my dreams and plans change on a near-daily basis, one part of that dream remained the same. I have always pictured myself, years from now, coming back to Oklahoma in the fall with my husband and kids, and showing them what life was like at the University of Oklahoma. I’ve traveled to many places in my 22 short years, and although I’ve seen some fabulous things, nothing quite comes close to Oklahoma in the fall… Especially being in Norman on game days. In my mind, I look forward to coming back and showing my family where I worked, where I lived, and where all the cool hangouts were.

Even though that dream can still come true, parts of it have already shifted. The place I work, La Luna Mexican Cafe, is closing Nov. 26. La Luna has been on Campus Corner for 10 years, and even though I’ve only worked there for nine months, I can’t imagine this place without it. It’s weird how one little job can change your life. Those people have become my family and I’ve had some of my best college memories while working there. 

One of the most iconic neighborhood pubs in Norman, Mr. Bills, will have its final last call this Saturday, Oct. 15. Bills has been in its same location since the late 1970s, so it is hard for many people to imagine a town without it. With rent in the Norman area skyrocketing, local merchants are being forced out to make way for corporate chains. To many of us, though, the thing that makes places like Campus Corner so special is that they truly are part of the local community, so it’s hard to adjust and accept the notion that larger companies want to swoop in and take things over.

Four years ago, when I was a naive college freshman, I just always assumed I would leave, but I would have this same place to come back to. I pictured my friends and I graduating and going out on our life adventures, but we would come back someday to sit at our favorite hangout and talk about the good old days. The way things are going now, I’m not sure which of my favorite places will still be here in another decade or two. Since I graduate in December, I accepted the fact that I would leave this place, but never did I imagine this place would leave me. 

Kali Carter is a senior at the University of Oklahoma, majoring in Public Relations. Kali is a member of the Alpha Chi Omega sorority, where she has held a number of officer positions, including an executive position as the Vice President of Membership Development. She has worked as a news desk reporter for the Oklahoma Daily newspaper, served as the Treasurer of the Student Society of Professional Journalists and is a member of the Public Relations Student Society of America. Kali currently balances her time working as the Marketing Assistant for an independent insurance agency and an Account Lead at the Lindsey + Asp Advertising and Public Relations Agency in the journalism college. Aside from working and spending time with friends and family, her greatest passions in life are writing and traveling. Kali has studied abroad in Peru, Chile, and Puerto Rico, and spent a summer blogging and living in San Francisco. Upon her graduation in December 2011, Kali does not intend to return to her hometown of Tulsa, Okla. Instead, she hopes to spend the next year or two traveling the world, writing, and volunteering, before eventually settling down in New York City.