December Holiday Guide: Top Oklahoma Attractions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oklahoma chapter.

To people who live outside the state, Oklahoma may not exactly scream Winter Wonderland. Those of us who live here know we experience some sort of wondrous proportions each year (i.e. ice storm 2007; Snowmageddon 2011). With or without snow on the ground, Oklahoma is a great place to live, or visit, during the holidays.

One of the hottest trends in both Tulsa and Oklahoma City is the shift downtown; however, since Bricktown began in the mid-to-late 1990s, Oklahoma City’s downtown has been steps ahead of the city to the North. These days, Tulsa’s Blue Dome District continues to expand, making a name for itself as one of the most vibrant locations in the city.

What many people do not realize, though, is that both cities downtown’s have more going on than business; both have expanded in the last five years to include residential life. Old and historic buildings have been turned into lofts and modern apartments, which is bringing new life into downtown.

Both Tulsa and Oklahoma City host a variety of elaborate holiday attractions and events, including ice rinks, Christmas lights, parades, holiday runs, and much more. Here are some of the top events taking place in both cities this month… each sure to get you in the holiday spirit!

DOWNTOWN TRANSFORMATION: Both downtowns have been turned into festive holiday displays. With numerous holiday lights and displays, Oklahoma City hosts an impressive holiday atmosphere. One holiday trend new to downtown Tulsa this year, is the use of pop-up shops in the Deco District. Local stores and businesses are setting up boutique-like shops in empty first-floor spaces. The pop-up shops are located in nearly every building in the Deco District and they provide residents a chance to purchase holiday gifts with convenience.

SNOW TUBING:
One attraction on any Oklahoma City resident’s must-do holiday list is snow tubing. Sponsored by Chesapeake Energy’s snow tubing is held at the RedHawk’s Field. A “snow” slope is put up in the ballpark and this activity is well worth the cost of $10/person for a 90-minute session. It is important to note that session size is limited and operated on a first-come, first-served basis. Buy tickets in advance here.

[pagebreak]

ICE RINKS:
The downtown Myriad Gardens play host to many of Oklahoma City’s festivities. Home of the Devon ice rink, the lit gardens also provide Saturdays with Santa and free admission on select days to the Crystal Bridge. As the star of the attraction, the ice rink hosts a live DJ on Friday nights and a local radio team on Saturdays. Tulsa’s Winterfest on Third Street in front of the BOK Center is home to the Devon Ice Rink and hosts visits with Segway Santa, horse and carriage rides, Oklahoma’s tallest outdoor Christmas tree, vendors and more. Charity promotions will take place at both ice rinks throughout the month. The Winterfest Holiday Market comes back Dec. 10 at 10:00a.m. in the BOK Center Lobby with a variety of vendors selling holiday goods.

THE NUTCRACKER:

As one of the season’s most enduring traditions, the classic ballet is also a top holiday outing. For all you college students without a car, you can see the Nutcracker at the Rupel J. Jones Theater in the Fine Arts Center. Performances are at 8 p.m. December 2-4, 8-10 and 3 p.m. December 3, 4, 10 and 11. Ticket prices are $14 for students, $22 for adults and $18 for seniors and may be purchased from the OU Fine Arts Box Office (405) 325-4101. Oklahoma City residents can see The Nutcracker presented by the Oklahoma City Ballet at the Civic Center Dec. 9-11 and 16-18. Tulsa residents can see the show at the Performing Arts Center Dec. 10-11, 16-18 and 22-23. Visit the Tulsa Ballet or Oklahoma City Ballet for showtimes and tickets.

A CHRISTMAS CAROL:
If you prefer the theater over ballet, then the Charles Dickens classic is for you. The only place to catch the show in Oklahoma City is at the Kirkpatrick Fine Arts Center on the Oklahoma City University campus Dec. 2-11. The American Theater Company will tell the story of Ebenezer Scrooge and Tiny Tim at the Tulsa Performing Arts Center Dec. 8-23. Visit the Oklahoma City University Theater or Tulsa Performing Arts Center for showtimes and tickets.

LIGHT DISPLAYS:

The best light display in Oklahoma City takes place in the heart of downtown, Bricktown. The best way to see the lights is aboard a water taxi on the canal Thursdays-Sundays through Dec. 25. Outside the city, Yukon’s Christmas in the Park, Midwest City’s Holiday Lights Spectacular, and Chickasha’s Festival of Lights are all worth the drive. In Tulsa (well, in Broken Arrow), the best light display by far is at RHEMA Bible Church. With more than two million lights, visitors come from neighboring states to see the magnificent display. Visitors can purchase snacks and hot chocolate, take pictures with Santa, and tour the campus by car, foot or horse-drawn carriage ($10/adult or $5/child).

[pagebreak]

HOLIDAY ORCHESTRA:

The Oklahoma City Philharmonic presents its holiday production of the “The Christmas Show” Dec. 1-3. Broadway Star Judy McLane will host the show and reprise her acclaimed 2009 performance in the philharmonic’s adored production. People in the Tulsa area can see the Trans-Siberian Orchestra perform at the BOK Center Dec. 16. The classic show incorporates fire, lights, sound and lasers in an entertaining musical setting. Visit the Oklahoma City Philharmonic or BOK Center for showtimes and tickets.

HOLIDAY DISPLAYS:
Oklahoma City residents can make the quick drive to Edmond Dec. 3 for Dickens Day, where downtown is transformed into a “Christmas of old” with carolers, carriage rides, costumes, food and more. Tulsa’s Festival of Trees takes place at the Philbrook Museum of Art every day through Dec. 11 from 5-8p.m. The free event features carolers, crafts and the gardens glowing with lights for the season. The collection includes artist-designed trees and gingerbread houses.

HOLIDAY RUNS:
On Dec. 10, Oklahoma City residents can participate in the SandRidge Santa Run, while Tulsa residents take part in the Jingle Bell Run/Walk. The Santa 5k starts downtown at 9 a.m. followed by the one-mile fun run at 9:30 a.m. Registered 5k runners can win monetary prizes by dressing up in a holiday costume. The Jingle Bell event is held downtown at Tulsa Community College – Metro Campus at 10th and Cincinnati. Put on your reindeer antlers or bells (or both!) and bundle up for the 1k or 5k to benefit the Arthritis Foundation, Eastern Oklahoma Chapter.

PARADES:

The The Tulsa Holiday Parade of Lights takes place Dec. 10 and includes marching bands, floats, balloons, oh my! This year’s parade features a new route, beginning downtown at Fourth St. and Elgin ending in the Blue Dome District.

ANIMAL EXHIBITS:
“Deck the Zoo” runs Dec. 1-24 at the Oklahoma City Zoo. Bring an edible wildlife ornament for $1 admission. “Scuba Santa” will find out which fish are naughty or nice in the 65,000 gallon saltwater tank at the Oklahoma Aquarium Dec. 3-4, 10-11 and 17-24 at 3:30p.m.

For more information on these events, such as locations and hours of operations, or other events in December visit: OKC Downtown in December, OKC Events Calendar and Tulsa Events Calendar.

Kali Carter is a senior at the University of Oklahoma, majoring in Public Relations. Kali is a member of the Alpha Chi Omega sorority, where she has held a number of officer positions, including an executive position as the Vice President of Membership Development. She has worked as a news desk reporter for the Oklahoma Daily newspaper, served as the Treasurer of the Student Society of Professional Journalists and is a member of the Public Relations Student Society of America. Kali currently balances her time working as the Marketing Assistant for an independent insurance agency and an Account Lead at the Lindsey + Asp Advertising and Public Relations Agency in the journalism college. Aside from working and spending time with friends and family, her greatest passions in life are writing and traveling. Kali has studied abroad in Peru, Chile, and Puerto Rico, and spent a summer blogging and living in San Francisco. Upon her graduation in December 2011, Kali does not intend to return to her hometown of Tulsa, Okla. Instead, she hopes to spend the next year or two traveling the world, writing, and volunteering, before eventually settling down in New York City.