December Holiday Guide: Top Oklahoma Attractions

Posted -

To people who live outside the state, Oklahoma may not exactly scream Winter Wonderland. Those of us who live here know we experience some sort of wondrous proportions each year (i.e. ice storm 2007; Snowmageddon 2011). With or without snow on the ground, Oklahoma is a great place to live, or visit, during the holidays.

One of the hottest trends in both Tulsa and Oklahoma City is the shift downtown; however, since Bricktown began in the mid-to-late 1990s, Oklahoma City’s downtown has been steps ahead of the city to the North. These days, Tulsa’s Blue Dome District continues to expand, making a name for itself as one of the most vibrant locations in the city.

What many people do not realize, though, is that both cities downtown’s have more going on than business; both have expanded in the last five years to include residential life. Old and historic buildings have been turned into lofts and modern apartments, which is bringing new life into downtown.

Both Tulsa and Oklahoma City host a variety of elaborate holiday attractions and events, including ice rinks, Christmas lights, parades, holiday runs, and much more. Here are some of the top events taking place in both cities this month… each sure to get you in the holiday spirit!

DOWNTOWN TRANSFORMATION: Both downtowns have been turned into festive holiday displays. With numerous holiday lights and displays, Oklahoma City hosts an impressive holiday atmosphere. One holiday trend new to downtown Tulsa this year, is the use of pop-up shops in the Deco District. Local stores and businesses are setting up boutique-like shops in empty first-floor spaces. The pop-up shops are located in nearly every building in the Deco District and they provide residents a chance to purchase holiday gifts with convenience.

SNOW TUBING:
One attraction on any Oklahoma City resident’s must-do holiday list is snow tubing. Sponsored by Chesapeake Energy's snow tubing is held at the RedHawk’s Field. A “snow” slope is put up in the ballpark and this activity is well worth the cost of $10/person for a 90-minute session. It is important to note that session size is limited and operated on a first-come, first-served basis. Buy tickets in advance here.

Get more HC!

Get the best of Her Campus, right in your inbox! Learn more.

About The Author

Kali Carter is a senior at the University of Oklahoma, majoring in Public Relations. Kali is a member of the Alpha Chi Omega sorority, where she has held a number of officer positions, including an executive position as the Vice President of Membership Development. She has worked as a news desk reporter for the Oklahoma Daily newspaper, served as the Treasurer of the Student Society of Professional Journalists and is a member of the Public Relations Student Society of America. Kali currently balances her time working as the Marketing Assistant for an independent insurance agency and an Account Lead at the Lindsey + Asp Advertising and Public Relations Agency in the journalism college. Aside from working and spending time with friends and family, her greatest passions in life are writing and traveling. Kali has studied abroad in Peru, Chile, and Puerto Rico, and spent a summer blogging and living in San Francisco. Upon her graduation in December 2011, Kali does not intend to return to her hometown of Tulsa, Okla. Instead, she hopes to spend the next year or two traveling the world, writing, and volunteering, before eventually settling down in New York City.

Editor's Note

From Around The Web

We Recommend

User login