Homecoming 2013: Branding a Brighter Orange

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

By Sarah Eddings

It’s the most wonderful time of the year here at Oklahoma State University—pomps are in the air, signs are out on the library lawn and orange dye is in the fountain. That’s right folks, it’s HoCo season. 

But it’s not just any ordinary Homecoming we’re talking about here, people. This is the largest Homecoming celebration in the nation so make sure you don’t miss out on some of these major events this weekend. Besides, last year over 80,000 people came to participate in the Homecoming festivities, so with that kind of traffic don’t expect to be going anywhere else or get any cell phone reception, for that matter.

Walkaround- 5:30 p.m. Friday, October 18th

If you don’t know what a “pomp” or “house dec” is feel free to ask any of your Greek friends. Actually, on second thought, don’t ask them because they’re probably sick of hearing those words, so allow me to briefly explain. A house decoration (or house dec) is a huge display made out of chicken wire stuffed with pomps (basically a fancy word for tissue paper) that the fraternities and sororities have been constructing for the past eight weeks.

Fun Fact: This event’s name was inspired after OSU’s Homecoming became so large people started ditching their cars due to traffic jams and opted to “walkaround” to view all the Greek houses’ porch decorations.

Homecoming & Hoops- 9 p.m. (doors open at 7 p.m.) Friday, Oct. 18th

After you’ve seen all of the amazing house decs during Walkaround, keep on walking right over to the Gallagher-Iba Arena for a Spirit Rally to support the Cowboy and Cowgirl basketball teams as they get ready for their upcoming season.

Fun Fact: ESPN will be broadcasting a live stream of the Spirit Rally this year.

Sea of Orange Parade- 8 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 19th

Wake up and put on your brightest orange to come out to watch the Homecoming parade. Over 120 floats from Greek Houses, Residential Halls, alumni, and student organizations line Main Street and head north towards Hall of Fame before the game on Saturday morning.

Fun Fact: The parade can also be streamed live online at OState.TV thanks to the OSU students of the School of Media and Strategic Communications.

OSU vs. TCU-  KICK OFF 11 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 19th

After the parade, head over to Boone Pickens Stadium to watch as the Cowboys take on the Horned Frogs.

Fun fact: WE BLEED ORANGE. GO POKES!