What OU Has Taught Me, Outside the Classroom

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

1. How to parallel park. OU, your parking may be a joke but at least you taught me a legitimate skill.
2. How to deal with different personalities. If college has taught me one thing, it’s how to deal with strong personalities and learn to embrace them rather than hate them. Rise above and allow others to make you a better and more tolerant person. You will be better equipped in the “real world.” 
3. How to embrace diversity. We get the lecture constantly to embrace diversity but I have been fortunate enough to attend one of the most diverse and utterly interesting campuses in the country and I will never forget the stone cold pack of weirdos that I call my friends. 
4. How to find any excuse to party. Fugitive Fest ring a bell? That may not have been in the best taste but it does speak to the carefree, spontaneous nature of most of our students. My four years here have proved that you don’t need a legitimate reason to have a good time, because every day can be fest day. 
5. How to be okay with saying goodbye to your money. College ain’t cheap, but it is also the time to be irresponsible with your money for the sake of making great memories. So don’t stress over eating out too much, running up an impressive bar tab or buying those concert tickets. You won’t miss that money. 
6. How to take time for yourself. I’m here to tell you, ladies that it is okay to stay in your pajamas, watching the Hallmark channel and never seeing the light of day every once in awhile. Everyone should experience this bliss so don’t feel guilty. 
7. How to be a small town girl. I have always loved big cities: the possibilities, the energy, the sights. But living in Athens has given me an appreciation for life on a smaller scale. You won’t find a more eclectic, beautiful town in Ohio, maybe even the country. Embrace the quaintness while you can. 
8. How to find your niche. I’m all for trying new things and going new places but I’m also a creature of habit. I know where I belong and where I don’t. Do a shuffle through the OU bars and you will quickly find your place and the types of people you can stand to be around.  
9. How to be single and enjoy it. I don’t know about you but before I came to college everyone had me believing I would meet a great guy or even guys and I would become this dating maven. Spoiler alert, that didn’t happen, but that’s okay! I may not have conquered the dating world but I learned more about myself in the process. So don’t regret those bad dates or the creepy guys hitting on you in the bars. It will just make you more appreciate once you do find that great guy. 
10. How to be hopeful for the future. As a graduating senior it is easy to get bogged down with the impending doom of leaving my Athens bubble. However, I have learned that being a Bobcat opens a lot of doors and leaves you with a sense of pride for our beloved university. So for all those graduating seniors, don’t feel like you have to have your life planned out by graduation day. Half the beauty of graduating is moving on to the next stage of your life, planned or un-planned. 

Junior Journalism major and Junior editor at Ohio University.