Time Management Tips for the Overworked

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Fall semester of my senior year, I did something a little crazy. I took on an internship, classes, a job, led Her Campus Ohio U, with Hillary of course, and wrote for various publications. It was a rewarding experience that gave me a chance to build my journalistic portfolio and prove to myself that I could focus on multiple projects at one time. I also learned some ways to manage my time, a skill that takes well into adulthood to truly master.
The most important lesson I learned was to say ‘no.’ If there is a non-essential project you absolutely can’t take on, don’t do it for the sake of doing it. It’s very tempting to say yes to everything and try to justify it. I mean, you were hired for a reason; you don’t want to look bad. Sometimes you just have too much on your plate. You won’t look bad for turning down one thing.
Keeping a planner is helpful. It’s easy to forget what’s swirling around in your head, so write down a project’s due date as soon as you get the assignment. Outlining the steps you’ll take to complete the project throughout the weeks leading up to the deadline help too. For example, mark the days with notes like “Start Econ Paper” or “Research Econ Paper” a few days, or weeks depending on length, before the deadline.
While you’re writing in your planner, make time for things you enjoy. If you know you and your friends have a big night out planned on Thursday night, get most of the work done on Wednesday. Yes, it increases your workload for the day, but it also relieves the stress that will befall you on your girl’s night out. 
Set up a reward system to motivate yourself. Say you have a big paper, like 25 percent of your grade big, due on the same day that you know work will be particularly stressful. Promise yourself that if you survive the day and get everything done, you’ll treat yourself to dinner or something small like a new bracelet. You’ll have something to look forward to and a small piece of acknowledgement of a job well done.
Most importantly, know your limits. Only you can decide how much and what you take on. It’s important to make time for yourself and friends. 

Have any time management tips for fellow HC readers? Let us know in the comments.

Taylor is a graduate of Ohio University and former Co-Editor of Her Campus' OU branch. She would like to eventually work in the publishing industry with hopes of living in New York, San Francisco or Seattle. In her free time, Taylor enjoys reading, volunteering, or hitting up the most hipster joints in town.
Junior Journalism major and Junior editor at Ohio University.