Pop Wise: Best Movies for Post-College Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

We never thought it would come, but the first year of semesters at Ohio University is almost at a close. For some collegiettes, that means the start of a relaxing summer. For others like myself, it’s the beginning of a whole new chapter of post-college life. I get teary just thinking about it, and I’m sure there are plenty other collegiettes out there sad to leave OU, too. To help get you through your last days on campus, kick back with these movies before graduation and catch some unexpected bursts of wisdom for the future to come.

Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2

In the sequel to the first book blockbuster, best friends Bridget, Lena, Tibby and Carmen find themselves braving another summer apart after their first year of college. Watching the girls’ struggle to define everything from their love lives to career passions will definitely bring you back to freshman year, a time when the possibilities seemed endless. Despite graduation looming for us seniors, there’s still a number of opportunities for the taking, just one of the many insights you’ll take from this movie. Oh, and the fact that friendship beats every possible real-world obstacle out there.

The Nanny Diaries

The fear and confusion that comes with discovering a career path, you’ll find it in full blast through this movie. After graduating college, Annie decides to become a nanny until she figures out what to do with her life. The problem: She ends up working for a rich and self-absorbed New York family, who care just as less for her future as the well-being of their own son. For those undecided on their post-college plans, Annie’s life crisis will speak to your own feelings of indecision. By embracing your passions, however, you’ll eventually find a bright future of your own.

Legally Blonde

No one could forget Elle Woods’ transformation from sorority queen to hotshot Harvard grad. Though Elle went to law school to impress a guy, what she really gained was a sense of fulfillment—because what girl wouldn’t be fulfilled from acing her first murder trial as a first-year student? And all while maintaining that characteristic bubbly personality and pink wardrobe. The lesson soon-to-be grads can take from Elle’s triumph: There will be people in life who tell us we can’t accomplish things, but none of it matters as long as we believe in ourselves.

An Education

College wouldn’t be complete without some schooling in the realm of love. In this coming-of-age drama, schoolgirl Jenny learns her lesson before her college years. Living in ’60s-era London, Jenny gets involved with a much older businessman. He charms her into giving up her acceptance to Oxford University. Sounds romantic, right? Until she discovers serious secrets beneath his charming exterior. Jenny’s dilemma can remind us of our own mistakes in love throughout our college careers; the important thing is to look back on those times we picked ourselves up after the downfall. 

Now & Then

When you look back on your time in college, what moments will you remember the most? That’s a thought to ponder as you watch the four women in this movie recall their best and not so great memories from childhood. We’ve all experienced ups and downs in our lifetimes, and college is no exception. But like it or not, every experience of our lives has shaped us into who we are today. Like the group of friends in this movie, embracing the past will help you figure out the future in more ways than you would think.

Originally from Pittsburgh, Rachel is a senior at the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism of Ohio University (Go Bobcats!). In addition to being a content editor and staff writer for OU's branch of Her Campus, she's also the managing editor of Southeast Ohio, a student-run magazine produced by the journalism school. In her spare time, she does volunteer work as a member of OU's Alpha Phi Omega National Service Fraternity. In the past, she has interned at Pittsburgh's premier lifestyle magazine Whirl, and this past summer, she was an editorial intern at Woman's Day magazine in New York City. Rachel's favorite things include shopping, reading celebrity gossip, and curling up with a really good book. After graduation, she plans to move to NYC and work with women's magazines.