My Role Model: Katy Perry

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

I love Katy. Love her like I have a legitimate crush on her, and would go on a date with her if I could. It’s borderline creepy. I discovered my love of Katy my sophomore year of college, right after Teenage Dream dropped, and my roommate at the time Carolyn was obsessing over it.

I fell in love with that album – everything about it is perfect. Katy is a real girl who writes from the heart. She is a real girl, who has mood swings like the rest of us, and has a song about every one of them. She sings about the good, fun times in our lives weather it’s going out with your friends (Last Friday Night), or that first spark of love (Teenage Dream). She has songs about the hard times too, songs that you can sing pissed off in your car, like “The One That Got Away” and “Part of Me.” She also works to inspire girls that they are worth something and are special, (“Pearl,” “Firework”). And this is just off of one album.

The best part about all of this is that she does it with a since of humor. She doesn’t take herself too seriously, and that is something I admire. If you have ever seen the music video for “Last Friday Night” (and I highly suggest you do), then you know exactly what I’m talking about.

She inspires girls to love themselves just the way they are. She embraces her body, and is so unapologetic about it. One of my favorite Katy quotes is, “I think there’s a fine line between being a slut and being classy. I walk in between that line.” She is not sorry about showing off her curves, and lets people its okay to be proud of what you have, and that is inspiring to me.

Katy is a huge worldwide pop star, but she is so down to earth. She is not afraid to be herself, and will never be someone she is not, and that is why she inspires me.

Taylor is a graduate of Ohio University and former Co-Editor of Her Campus' OU branch. She would like to eventually work in the publishing industry with hopes of living in New York, San Francisco or Seattle. In her free time, Taylor enjoys reading, volunteering, or hitting up the most hipster joints in town.