Letter to Incoming Freshman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Dear future Bobkittens,
By now, you’ve chosen the best university in the country to attend in the fall: Ohio University. Congrats! Sadly, as a senior, I won’t be here next year as my time as a Bobcat has come to an end. I’ve compiled here for you some things I wish I had known as a freshman, oh-so-many years ago.
Over the summer, you’ll attend one of the most exciting and simultaneously frightening events in your college career: orientation. There you’ll meet people you may never see again in your four years at OU, or you may become the best of friends with them; it’s all up to you.
At orientation, while sitting in MemAud, you’ll most likely watch a video with current students telling you how much they love OU. Go ahead, roll your eyes. I did, anyway. But, I’m giving you some advice, Bobkittens, watch this video. Sure, it’s cheesy and your parents will get all misty-eyed, but what the students say in this video is true: OU and Athens are home. It may take you all four years of college to realize this, but there isn’t any other place on the planet like Athens. Both the students and townies alike are some of the kindest people you will ever meet, so don’t let the surrounding community go to waste.
Another thing, it may be scary (or thrilling) the first night your parents drive off and leave you to live in your dorm room. I know it was for me; I didn’t want to see my parents go and was worried I was going to be “that girl” who was homesick the first night of college. Don’t let the idea of you being the only one who is homesick get in your head. While I had been away from home before, this was the first time it was going to be a permanent change. I wouldn’t wake up in my bedroom everyday with my own space and my cat at my feet. Moving into the dorms rocked my world. But, I’m telling you to cherish that moment, Bobkittens. It may be scary, or it may be enthralling, but it marks the beginning of your college career. Besides, you’re at OU — the best university there is!
By now, you’ve probably all heard rumors about the “freshman 15.” I’m going to tell you what others won’t: it’s true. I gained about seven pounds at the end of my freshman year. But you know what? It’s because I wasn’t taking care of myself. I would eat those french fries at the dining hall and go up for a scoop of ice cream. Those were what caused me to pack on the lbs. However, if you do opt for the healthier choices at Jeff, Shively, Nelson and Boyd, you will feel healthier and stay healthier too. Not to mention, we have this awesome rec center called Ping. Everything and anything you need to get in shape and work out is available to you at Ping. Don’t be afraid to go into the weight room or jump on that treadmill! Everyone is there for the same reason: to stay healthy and get in shape. And this, this is an important part of being a college student; learning how to take care of yourself, sans the help of mom and dad. 
Now, Bobkittens, I’m going to tell you something others won’t tell you: roommates can be horrible. Fall quarter, my freshman-year roommate and I got along swimmingly. Winter was all right and then spring rolled around. We were not getting along at all — and I had already signed up to live with this girl for sophomore year! Don’t be like me; stand up for yourself and find a roommate you know won’t rifle through your underwear draw for a roll of tape, use your favorite shot glass without permission and (my personal favorite) let her friends browse on your computer while you’re out of the room. If you feel uncomfortable by your roommate in anyway, tell an RA and they will help. It may seem like the “nerdy” thing to do by going to an RA, but that’s what he/she is there for; to help and make sure no one feels uneasy.
I’m sure you’re tired of reading a senior’s words, so I’ll leave you all with one last parting bit of wisdom: HAVE FUN! Of course being at university is about getting an education, but don’t forget to put that history text book down every now and then and go for a swim at Stroud’s Run! Or head on over to that UPC event — who can say no to free food and a movie? While OU has that party school representation, there are many folks as well who enjoy a day of playing Mario Kart 64 or watching all eight Harry Potter movies over the weekend. Don’t let the school’s reputation decide how you want to enjoy college. The experience you want to have here is all up to you.

Sincerely once a Bobcat, always a Bobcat,

Carly Wiita
(P.S. — never wear a Miami shirt on campus. It’s just a bad idea waiting to happen.)

Senior magazine journalism and Spanish major at Ohio University.
Junior Journalism major and Junior editor at Ohio University.