This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

It’s that time of the year again: time to get our lives together before summer gets here. There are a lot of things going through our minds when trying to get that *perfect* placement whether it is a job or an internship, but here are some things to ease your minds when applying for/starting a new job or internship.

Pre-Interview

Make sure to have a hairstyle that keeps the hair out of your eyes; no interviewer wants you to be pushing back your bangs the whole time you’re talking. Also, keep your eye makeup simple. It’s great that you found this dark blue liquid liner that totally complements your eyes, but it looks unprofessional to have crazy makeup during the interview. Ditto on your outfit, you shouldn’t be wearing anything your mama would make you put a sweater over top.  Remember, this is the first impression that the interviewer will make of you, and first impressions matter.

Research some things about the company before showing up, like if they support any charities or have a company reputation for being environmentally friendly. Have questions ready about day-to-day responsibilities and anything that seems unclear. Know how to respectfully and realistically negotiate salary. (Don’t panic if it doesn’t work out. Ask about benefits or opportunities of financial advancement).

Brainstorm an (appropriate) anecdote demonstrating your strengths and weaknesses, and think about a time you had to overcome a hardship. These are all common questions you should be ready to tackle.

During The Interview

Bring a copy of your résumé with you, any relevant samples (writers bring writing samples, photographers bring photos, etc.) and a list of references with contact numbers. If they ask for them, show them how prepared you were by just handing it out and being ready and able to talk about your past experiences.

If it’s a phone or Skype interview, still do all of this, and clean up the room you’ll be interviewing in. It’ll help you speak and think more professionally and critically if you’ve prepped as if you’re talking to someone in person. Plus, having a clean room provides fewer distractions.

Smile and make eye contact. It’s terrifying (especially if this is your first interview), but the interviewer is just another person whose job isn’t to trip you up.

The best interviews are usually between people who don’t think of the “best answers” but interact with the potential employer as another person who they can have a real conversation with.

Once you have the job or internship

Remember that you’re new, and should ask questions. Especially if this is an internship, your job is to learn as quickly and aptly as possible.  It’s okay to not have all the answers, especially when you’re new. Everyone wants to help, so if you need help or don’t understand something, nicely ask someone.

Don’t make things up. This company has a specific way of doing things, even if it seems dumb, they do it this way for a reason. Do it the way they want, and if you have a way to improve the system, talk to someone about it.

Dress professionally, at least for the first week. Even if you come in and everyone is in jeans, you should not be, especially as an intern. They have positions here, and you do not…Unless a higher up employee tells you specifically to wear jeans, dress business casual.

Happy job/internship hunting!

Photo courtesy: lindsayolson.com

Just a quirky fashion journalist trying to get it right!
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean. E.W. Scripps School of Journalism kid. Avid explorer. Puppy (and all things fluffy) lover.  Twitter: @Taylor_Stano & Instagram: @TayStano