This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

By the beginning of my sophomore year, I realized I would be able to graduate a semester early without taking any summer classes (I double-dipped a lot of classes). I felt relieved because I could forgo some of the cost of college, but sad that I could potentially be missing out on the best semester of my undergraduate career! Here’s a list of pros and cons to help decide if graduating early is right for you.

PROS

1. Saving money

A semester’s tuition at OU is over $5,000, not including rent for the highly priced boxes we live in. Getting a head start on a career means paying back loans sooner, ditching some unwanted interest fees, and (hopefully) becoming financially stable.

2. A career

Once again, this can help you get a head start at making some hard-earned cash. Most graduates start applying for jobs in their last semester, so being a step ahead in the work force sooner will pay off (literally).

3. Family

Did you get engaged while in college and have a wedding to plan? Are you expecting a little one? Do you have a family member that you would like to spend time with or need to take care of? Go home early and be with those who matter most to you.

CONS

1. OU Traditions

Can’t imagine one less fest season? Neither can I. Senior week and all the cool and exciting (free!) things that come with it? Wouldn’t miss it! Walking across the stage on graduation day with the rest of your class? Priceless. Depending on how much school spirit you have, you may want to consider staying to live out your glory days.

2. Greek Life

For those of you in Greek life, it would mean skipping a week of sorority and fraternity fun, the loved Greek Week. I wouldn’t want to miss a fun packed week of dancing, competition, and spending time with my sisters just to be at home watching my Instagram feed of it all.

3. Athens

Who actually wants to leave our cozy little college town? Athens has a cool vibe that features cheap drinks you won’t see anywhere else, a myriad of delicious food choices, and a strong, amazing Bobcat community like no other. The hardest decision to make is what you’re going to do after OU, because nothing else compares.

After sorting out my thoughts, I’ve decided to stay in Athens to experience that last spring semester. I’m going to take the next few semesters lightly and make the most of my days in this beautiful town. I dread the day I have to leave Athens, but I know it’ll always be my hOUme. 

Ohio University 2017 Alumna Communication Studies major | Business minor | Social Media certificate Qnary | Client Success Manager Some Good Wine | Event and Marketing Director Delta Zeta Alumna | Public Relations Advisor Her Campus | Chapter Advisor and past Campus Correspondent PRSSA | Mentor Living my best life in NYC.
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean. E.W. Scripps School of Journalism kid. Avid explorer. Puppy (and all things fluffy) lover.  Twitter: @Taylor_Stano & Instagram: @TayStano