free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

A Day in the Life of Dottie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

You guys all know the song, “Stand up, drank. Sit down, drank.”  Well, my life is more like stand up, study. Sit down, nap. So here it is, a day in the life of an OU student. (Side note: I’m insanely busy. I am involved in four clubs on campus and I take 17 credit hours. I have a Journalism major, a fashion minor, and a political communications certificate.) DISCLAIMER: There is massive coffee consumption that goes on with my day that I cut out.

8 a.m. – Wake up bright and early for my 9 a.m. class.  Luckily, I’ve convinced my roommate to not speak to me in the mornings, because I am *not* (I repeat NOT) a morning person.

8:30 a.m. – Actually wake up.

8:34 a.m. – Whimper about how much I don’t want to be awake.

8:53 a.m. – Walk to class. Find out we have a substitute and become instantly bitter that I didn’t sleep through this.

9:25 a.m. – Since my second class of the day is cancelled (usually philosophy), I decide to treat myself to a nap. It is fabulous. Mid-morning naps are the greatest things ever invented.

11 a.m. – Wake up, fix my makeup, and go to Shively to get lunch.

11:45 a.m. – Go to Bobcat Depot to have them figure out why my laptop can’t connect to the internet in my dorm. This will be an ongoing issue for three hours.

12 p.m. – Work on my homework.

1 p.m. – Sit on the ground and whimper about how I don’t want to work out.

1:07 p.m. – Marathon training. (Yes, I know. I’m crazy. And yes, it does suck).

3 p.m. – Shower because running 12 miles makes you so disgusting.

3:30 p.m. – My roommate/best friend is finally home, so we watch a Spanish soap opera. (It’s called Velvet and while I know it sounds strange, it’s one of the greatest things ever. It has English subtitles which is good, ‘cause I take French.)

4 p.m. – I have an interview with Street Sense for an intern position. I try really hard to sound cool and professional, but let’s not kid ourselves – I am neither cool nor professional. He says I got it though, so I happy dance around my room.

4:30-5:30 p.m. – More homework and studying. This time I’m a lot less motivated, so I “study” on Pinterest more than I should.

5:30 p.m. – Fill out Thread Magazine pitch form. This little form can determine what story I write for this issue. No pressure, but I want it to sound cool so I get a cool story. I finish about half before…

5:55 p.m. – CRAP. I have a class that only meets six times a semester. If you miss one, you fail. I guess I’d better get to that class, since it is seven minutes away and I have five minutes to get there.

6 p.m. – Even though I’m sweaty and gross, I’ve made it. This class doesn’t last too long, but it makes me feel so bad for not being artsy (it’s a fine arts review class).

7 p.m. – Class let out early, which is great because I have an event for my honor fraternity (Phi Sigma Pi) that started five minutes ago.

7:15 p.m. – I should only wear sweat pants, leggings, yoga pants, or running shorts since I sprint everywhere. I made it to North Congress, while the fun is still going on.

9 p.m. – The fun ends. ☹ I decide to walk home with other underclassmen who are still living la vida dorm (the dorm life).

9:30 p.m. – Walking in a large group always takes so long. But it’s fun, so I say the benefits outweigh the costs. I make tons of plans for next week, which will all be fun… I just need to schedule them in.

10 p.m. – My dorm friends (including my best friend Rachel) and I all watch American Horror Story together. It is the best/scariest thing ever.

12 a.m. – I try to get a teeny tiny bit more studying in before drifting off to dreamland, but I give up by 12:20 a.m. and succumb to my warm, cozy bed, with promises that I’ll never leave it again.

All GIFS: giphy.com

Just a quirky fashion journalist trying to get it right!
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean. E.W. Scripps School of Journalism kid. Avid explorer. Puppy (and all things fluffy) lover.  Twitter: @Taylor_Stano & Instagram: @TayStano