Colleen Coyne: Brew Week intern

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

year: senior
major: Communication Studies
hometown: Strongsville
fun facts: green and yellow are Ohio Brew Week colors (not official)

Her Campus: How did you come about your internship?
Coyne: I received an email from the school of communication, and I emailed the woman back. I ended up being the only person who showed up to the meeting.

Her Campus: What do you do with Ohio Brew Week?
Coyne: Everything; I’m the only intern for this specific brew week. I meet with local business owners to get sponsorships for brew week promotions, I contact business owners and help set up events—like with Salaam setting up formal dinner with beer pairings, at OU Inn, Abrio’s, etc. I’m in charge of promotions and social media; marketing, going to beer conferences and helping plan events.

Her Campus: How has this effected you while at school?
Coyne: It’s been partially stressful, if I weren’t someone who loves being worked to death, I think the average student would be stressed out right now. They expect me to meet with business owners on top of class and work. It’s been a good experience.

Her Campus: Do you get to taste any awesome beers? Or get free swag?
Coyne: Not yet. I received a free press pass for Cleveland International Beer Festival and got to meet brewers from all over the country.

Her Campus: Anything else you’d like to share?
Coyne: It’s an awesome event; it’s Athens number 1 source of money during the summer months that’s non-university related. This is our seventh year. There is a scholarship fund; the founder (of Brew Week) died after the first year (has bench outside CVS), and made a scholarship fund. The John Sparhawk Memorial Scholarship Fund goes toward Athens kids or community benefits. I’m excited to see the final outcome of hard work and excited to see it grow

Senior magazine journalism and Spanish major at Ohio University.
Hillary Johns is a Senior at Ohio University majoring in magazine journalism in the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism, with a split specialization in French and sociology. She is beyond excited to be a part of the Her Campus Team! She can often be found with her nose stuck in a book, most likely Harry Potter, or writing her own adventures. Hillary has a deep love of travelling and her favorite place in the world in Boston, MA. She hopes to someday pursue a career in communications and journalism.