This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

While you’re probably sitting at your computer reading this with a mug of hot chocolate in hand and a Christmas station on Pandora, I’m desperately trying to find a radio station that isn’t playing Christmas music.

Don’t get me wrong; I love Christmas — who doesn’t like getting weeks off school/work to spend with family and presents galore? — but society has jumped the gun on the holiday season in the past few years.

This year, I witnessed Christmas commercials appear on TV before Halloween. Other than Christmas, Halloween is my favorite holiday. If I can’t enjoy gorging myself with candy in peace, how am I supposed to enjoy the rest of the year? Is nothing sacred anymore?

Even though Black Friday is considered the official start of the holiday season, that doesn’t bother anyone else. Everyone seems to forget November is dedicated to Thanksgiving; a time to be spent with family and of course, be thankful for everything in your life.

So why the hell does everyone just skip over Thanksgiving without a second thought? My rant here can be summed up in this cartoon.

You can sit here and tell me  I’m not enjoying the spirit of the holiday; many people have. But, I feel that with each month (other than poor August), there is a separate holiday. February has Valentine’s Day, April has my birthday — I mean Easter, November has Thanksgiving and December gets Christmas, etc. Each holiday has its own time to shine, and Thanksgiving, along with Halloween now, are getting overshadowed because everyone just wants it to be “the most wonderful time of the year.” 

Can I wait till Christmas? No. But that doesn’t mean I’m going to forget about the one day of the year it’s socially acceptable to stuff my face and go back for thirds at the dinner table. And also be thankful for the people I have in my life along with all the positive things I have in my life. 

So while you are dreaming of a white and jolly olly Christmas, I’ll be enjoying the last remnants of all things pumpkin-flavored and channel my inner Tard the Grumpy Cat when hearing Christmas music on the radio. Bah humbug!
Senior magazine journalism and Spanish major at Ohio University.
Hillary Johns is a Senior at Ohio University majoring in magazine journalism in the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism, with a split specialization in French and sociology. She is beyond excited to be a part of the Her Campus Team! She can often be found with her nose stuck in a book, most likely Harry Potter, or writing her own adventures. Hillary has a deep love of travelling and her favorite place in the world in Boston, MA. She hopes to someday pursue a career in communications and journalism.