8 Foods You Crave When You’re Away from hOUme

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

There’s more to Athens than the bricks, the scenery, the people and the bars. Athens can be known for its many choices of great “after hours” food located on or near Court Street, and some a bit off-campus. After a few 50-cent drafts and/or a plethora of mixed concoctions, students have an ideal place to go to get the type of food they’re dying to have before the night ends.

However, when students leave Athens for breaks or weekends, they go through a terrible withdrawal of the specific food they long for after a night out. Here’s just a few cravings we get:

1. O’Betty’s Red Hot: Chili cheese fries and loaded hot dogs are some of your options at this place on West State. Who doesn’t love that chili cheesiness after 2 a.m.?

2. GoodFella’s Pizza: The thick doughy crust, the cheese and dipping sauces help make Goodfella’s a great place to go while Uptown. With two locations, one on Court Street and one on Union Street, Goodfella’s has your back.

Photo: foodspotting.com

3. Uptown Grill (Chicken ’n’ Waffle):  Fried chicken, melted cheese, a secret sauce and bacon all between two fluffy waffles. What else do you possibly need?

4. Wings Over Athens: Bone-in or boneless? Mild or spicy? The choice is all yours and you can even order their mouth-watering waffle fries.

5. Courtside Pizza: Pizza tastes better when it’s only 50 cents a slice on Wednesdays.

6. D.P. Dough: Step 1. Pick your favorite kind of pizza. Step 2. Put it in a calzone. Step 3. Ta-da, you have yourself a fabulous meal. Just thinking about this should make your taste buds salivate for a minute or two.

Photo: onwardstate.com

7. Big Mamma’s Burritos: Need a burrito after Chipotle closed for the night? Head to Big Mamma’s to treat yo’self to all of its deliciousness. (Try their buffalo ranch or chipotle ranch burritos!)

Photo: athensohio.com

8. Avalanche Pizza: Who knew you could order a loaded baked potato pizza and get shrimp and artichoke on another? Their menu of specialty and award-winning pizzas goes on and on and the possibilities are endless. However, they’re only open until 1 a.m. so call in your order fast!

Have an Athens favorite late night meal? Let us know @hercampusohiou!

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean. E.W. Scripps School of Journalism kid. Avid explorer. Puppy (and all things fluffy) lover.  Twitter: @Taylor_Stano & Instagram: @TayStano
Paige is a student studying Journalism, Social Media, and Women's Studies at Ohio University. She is actively involved with Her Campus Ohio U and Thread Magazine. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram @paige__rochelle (two underscores!)