2012 Election: A Day with Joe Biden

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

When my roommate (a campus organizer for the Obama campaign) told me to keep my Saturday open but couldn’t tell me why, I was skeptical. She told me just to trust her and sign a form to volunteer. I did. Yes, I like my roommate that much. I may have sold my soul to her for something crazy, but sometimes you have to dive in headfirst.

When I found out that U.S. Vice President Joe Biden would be speaking IN Athens, Ohio, on that Saturday and that I was on tap to volunteer directly with the campaign, I literally hyperventilated. I had to call my roommate to see if I was being Punk’d–the old Punk’d with Ashton Kutcher, not the new Bieber-tastic Punk’d. (New drinking game if you’re 21, take a shot every time I say Punk’d in this article). Punk’d.

The site was chaotic when I arrived to volunteer. Secret service was everywhere. I’m talking real-life secret service–big guys with earpieces and sunglasses looking at you with intimidation if you breathe wrong. It was a serious setup.

I was immediately sent to work with the media part of the campaign checking in various outlets (CNN, Buzzfeed, ABC News…where did I put my resume again?!?). It was an amazing perspective. The best part: as I was sitting at my post, in walks Ohio Supreme Court Justice Yvette McGee Brown. (In case you didn’t know, Brown is the first female African-American justice appointed to the Ohio Supreme Court, and she’s an Ohio University alumna). Ms. Brown was on tap to speak before former governor Ted Strickland, who would open for Biden. She was an inspiring woman, looking flawless may I add, talking casually with me about the contents of her purse while security rifled through. Justice Brown comes to events very prepared, in case anybody was wondering.

After getting over the initial star shock, I took my place to watch Biden speak. I was planted right next to the photographers’ section. Right next to the action. It was surreal.

Democrat or Republican, you can’t deny Biden is one charismatic man. The second he stepped onto the podium, his smile lit up the room. Biden opened up his speech talking about the last time he was on the OU campus for a football game, and how he almost was arrested. This quip lightened the mood and made it seem like we were listening to a friend tell a story.

The speech continued with the usual rhetoric in a campaign, speaking highly of his boss, President Obama, and letting those know he thought the Romney/Ryan ticket was wrong for the future. He made a point of mentioning how the Romney administration would cut Pell Grants, which hit very close to home for many of the university attendees. One particular quote that fired up the crowd referred to Romney’s economic policy, saying he was “betting against America” and that the U.S. is in decline. Biden fired back with this popular quip, “America is not in a decline. America’s coming back. We’re not going back. We’re going forward, and we’re going forward because of you…I have news, it’s never ever been a good bet to bet against the American people.” Biden rallied around those who showed up to support him and hoped in November they would get out to vote.

No matter what side you’re on, seeing such speakers is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, and I hope you have the chance to attend one. I hope it inspires you to find out more about politics and to exercise your American right to use your voice and vote. So register at your most current address, know your polling place, know your issues and have your voice heard!

I understand politics can get a little heated and serious, so here’s a YouTube video I think may be the best piece to lighten the mood. If anyone can find one that is Mitt Romney related, I would love to see it. Punk’d.

Taylor is a graduate of Ohio University and former Co-Editor of Her Campus' OU branch. She would like to eventually work in the publishing industry with hopes of living in New York, San Francisco or Seattle. In her free time, Taylor enjoys reading, volunteering, or hitting up the most hipster joints in town.