This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

My dear collegiettes, winter is coming – arm yourselves. 

This time last year, I was a just a naïve little southerner y’all.  Full-blown winter in Atlanta (my home – Go Braves!)  is basically the weather we have now, so winter is not a kind mistress to me.  However, I have learned from my past mistakes and now give you my 3 part skin-survival guide for the brutal winter months!  The key is to lock in moisture.

Part 1:
HUMIDIFIER

Seriously, if you do not have a humidifier, get one now because lord help you once the brute of winter hits.  Your skin will be dried out by the stinging winter wind (unless you wear some face mask contraption?), and on top of that, your skin will be parched by the blasting heat that sporadically decides it wants to help defrost your room – Gram, I’m talking to you.  The dry heat on top of the freezing air makes a nasty combo that equals itchy peeling skin.  Then your makeup goes on cakey, your natural skin becomes dull, and basically, bad things will happen.  By simply having a machine pump water molecules into your air, you’ll be saving yourself a lot grief.

Part 2:
SWITCH TO A HEAVY DUTY MOISTURIZER

The same moisturizer that took care of you in the lazy summer months is not going to cut it come winter.  I am completely guilty – I thought my awesome Clinique yellow moisturizer would never fail me.  I was wrong.  If you use a gel moisturizer, think about switching to a cream, or if a creamy texture irritates your skin, switch to a super boost moisturizer!  The added moisture may feel like over-kill when you first apply it, but you’ll see soon enough that your skin needs the hydration to stay radiant all winter!

My Picks:
Garnier Moisture Rescue Refreshing Gel-Cream Dry Skin, $8.49
Yes to Carrots Rich Moisture Day Cream, $14.99
Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Cream, $26.50
Philosophy Take A Deep Breath Oil-Free Energizing Oxygen Gel Cream Moisturizer, $34
CLINIQUE Moisture Surge Extended Thirst Relief, $37

Part 3:
USE A FACE OIL

Yes, it goes against the grain to put oil onto our face after we spend so much time stripping our skin of it.  However, our hatred for face oil partly contributes to our skin problems.  When our face is exposed from all our abrasive scrubbing and washing, our skin naturally produces excess oil to compensate.- cue the domino effect.  Face oils are fantastic because they deliver concentrated vitamins, give your skin a healthy boost, and create this layer of protection against the unforgiving elements.  I apply mine (Boscia) by mixing 2-3 drops into my moisturizer!  It’s a bit pricey, but a bottle can last you at least a whole year, or you can go out and by 100% organic natural oil like coconut to use!

My Picks:
Bio-Oil Skincare Oil, $19.49
L’Oréal Age Perfect Glow Renewal Facial Oil, $24.99
H. Gillerman Organics Neroli Face Oil, $26, check local Whole Foods Market
John Masters Organics Pomegranate Facial Nourishing Oil, $30, check local Whole Foods Market
Boscia Tsubaki Beauty Oil, $46

My winter mantra is “hydrate, moisturize, protect!”  Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m off to prep for hibernation. 

NYU Student, Married to Beauty, Mistress to Sweets, BRIDES fashion intern Spring 2013, Marie Claire beauty intern F/W 2013-14, Cosmopolitan beauty intern Spring 2014, Her Campus NYU beauty blogger, Her Campus National Contributing Writer.Facebook  Twitter  InstagramWill do tricks for cake.Georgia Peach at heart.Obsessed with skincare and makeup.Professional technology assasin.Shoe and bag hoarder.Self proclaimed top-chef.Currently plotting how to sneak my cats from home to NYC.Will hibernate in winter, so please leave a message with your emergency.
Stephanie is in the class of 2014 at New York University studying Journalism and Dramatic Writing. She is currently a production intern at NBC News, after previously interning at ABC News. In addition to being the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus NYU, she is also an entertainment and lifestyle blogger for Seventeen Magazine and a contributing writer for USA TODAY and The Huffington Post, as well as a member of the MTV Insights team. Stephanie loves Broadway and performing in musical theatre, as well as shopping, singing, and playing the piano. Follow her NYC adventures on Twitter at @StephanieJBeach.