danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Top Tips To Be A Networking Pro

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

I don’t know about you, but whenever somebody mentions networking I want to hide under my duvet and pray that nobody finds me. The idea of it makes me feel so uncomfortable and, to be honest, just embarrassed at the thought of talking to somebody to try and put myself out there. It’s one of those things that everybody mentions, but you’re never completely sure of the protocols and ways to actually network successfully, so I’ve been doing some research to help make me feel less as if I need a stiff drink when someone mentions the N word.

Here are three things to remember to help you get over those networking nerves and find yourself with lots of contacts.

1. Don’t worry too much! I think that this is probably my biggest downfall – I worry so much about the concept of networking that I either chicken out of the actual process, or appear to be a jibbering, nervous wreck. At the end of the day, everybody’s there for the same thing and they all want to help you! If you’re talking to employers, then remember that they’re only human, and if you look keen and interested then they’ll reward your enthusiasm and courage.

2. It’s not a competition. I’m not sure about you, but I find it hard not to be intimidated as you look around and see that same girl talking to yet another person. She’s made her way around the room and looks like she’s hitting it off with everybody she speaks to, but you have to remember that she’s not you. She may be on a different agenda and could be playing more of a quantity thing, prioritising the number of contacts she gets over the quality of a good conversation with an employer you can have if you don’t try and take on too much.

3. SMILE! I’m sure you all know that smiling is infectious. It’s impossible for somebody to smile back at you if you do it first, and they’ll be more attracted to come and speak to you if you look happy and approachable.

So there we go. Three easy things to remember the next time your friend signs your name up for a networking event. Good luck! 

Emma Sims

Nottingham

Sam is a Third Year at the University of Nottingham, England and Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham. She is studying English and would love a career in journalism or marketing (to name two very broad industries). But for now, her favourite pastimes include nightclubs, ebay, cooking, reading, hunting down new music, watching thought-provoking films, chatting, and attempting to find a sport/workout regime that she enjoys!