Style Blog: The Five Best Leather Sleeved Coats

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

The masculine trend was huge on the catwalk for A/W 12 and by the look of it, it’s going to be around for Spring too! A major trend was leather sleeved jackets and coats (or faux leather/pleather/PU – however you want to call it!) which has been reproduced all over the high street and the Internet for much more reasonable prices. I’ve picked out my five favourite leather sleeved coats currently around, and have tried to throw a few more girly options in there if androgynous isn’t your thing!

1 – Warehouse Black Faux Leather Sleeve Faux Fur Jacket – £100

I think this is my favourite jacket out of all the ones I’ve picked out in this post. Combining faux leather with timeless faux fur, this jacket would look amazing dressed up or down, with black skinny jeans and heeled Chelsea boots. Warehouse clothes are quite expensive but they are of really good quality and a style like this would see you through so many years. They also offer a student discount and they always have ‘money off’ events online, so look out for these for a good deal!

2 – Missguided Joyce Contrast Sleeve Khaki Jacket with Shearling Trim – £49.99

The cheapest jacket out of all my choices is this Missguided one, which I think really stands out because of its shearling detail, meaning it’ll be all cosy for winter! There are a lot of these cargo style leather sleeved jackets around but I think this is one of the nicest I’ve seen. It’d be great for uni and daytime as it’s not too dressy and goes with so many different pieces of clothes. The price is a bargain considering all the detail it has, and Missguided also offers student discounts and often have free next day delivery offers, which are really hard to not take advantage of!

3 – ZARA Boucle Quilted Leather Sleeve Biker Coat – £139

Okay, so I know this is SUPER expensive, but it’s so beautiful there is no way I am not including it! Every time I go into ZARA in Nottingham it just sits there, and my Mum and I always go over and have a little swoon at it! It really is such a lovely coat, the bouclé detail is so classy and the quilted sleeves make it look designer. Rochelle from The Saturdays has been seen wearing this recently too! Although ZARA don’t do any discounts, this is definitely an investment piece that you’ll be wearing for years to come!

4 – River Island Boucle Style Fallaway Jacket – £55

I have this jacket, and can vouch for it being amazing! It’s more of a cardigan style lightweight jacket, so I wouldn’t recommend it for winter but for autumn and spring it’s fab! The waterfall detailing makes it look really feminine, and it can be worn with skinny jeans, dresses, skirts, etc! There is a limit to the colours you can wear with it I think – more neutral tones should be stuck to otherwise it looks a bit odd! I saw this on fashion blogger LLYMLRS and also saw the red version on Lily Pebbles of whatihearttoday.com, but I chose the grey one as I do think it’s more versatile! I’d definitely recommend it though for the price!

5 –  Miss Selfridge PU Sleeve Stone Mac – £69

Here’s my really girly choice of all the coats! I spotted this mac when I was on the Miss Selfridge site a few days ago and can’t stop looking at it, it’s so lovely! I’ve never really worn macs before but I think they look really smart for work, and I think this one is particularly nice because of the faux leather sleeves! The pleats on the back give it its femininity, and the bow tie on the front is so cute. It’d look great with a peplum dress or a combination of a skirt, a blouse and heels. Miss Selfridge also offer all year round student discounts and regularly have offers online!

Biochemistry and Molecular Medicine student at the University of Nottingham. I love all things catty and anything fashion related. I probably shop too much, probably..
Maddie studies American Studies at the University of Nottingham and is in her 4th year. She joined the Her Campus team on her year abroad at University of Illinois as a social media intern and now she and Anna are excited to open the University of Nottingham's chapter this September.