Style Blog: Christmas Party Outfit Ideas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

It’s December and that officially means one thing – It’s Christmas! One of the many good things about this time of the year is the Christmas parties. However finding the perfect outfit on top of everything else you have to do can be quite stressful. Whether it’s a meal with friends, a Christmas party with a society, at work or even if you just like to dress up on Christmas day, one thing is guaranteed – you will need a great outfit. Here are a few Christmas party dress ideas to help you look fantastic this Christmas:

1.     Peplum – A great simple but flattering dress this season. Most shops on the high street have many different variations of peplum and many celebrities have been spotted sporting the peplum style. You could even try a leather peplum to give your outfit a little more of an edge. Suitably completing the outfit would be a pair of basic black heels and some subtle jewellery.

Miss Selfridge –Mini PU Peplum Dress – £39

2.     Little Black Dress – You can never go wrong with a little black dress for a party. Try using bolder accessories and shoes to make your outfit stand out a bit more. You could also buy a dress that has lacy features to give your outfit that extra flare. Also try adding statement jewellery such as a statement necklace and some embellished, sequined or colourful heels.

Topshop – Lace Back Dip Hem Dress by Rare – £42

3.     Sequins – Sequined dresses have always been a festive choice. Gold or silver sequins always look very jubilant during the Christmas period.  You could even buy a red or green sequined dress if you really feel like getting into the Christmas spirit. You don’t need as much jewellery with a dress like this. Try adding only one item of jewellery so the outfit is not too busy such as a pair of glittery gold earrings.

House of Fraser – Madam Rage Sequin dipped hem dress – £32

4.     1920’s Flapper Dress – Flapper dresses are very on trend right now and are ubiquitous. A dress like this would be perfect for a fancy dress party too. Why not channel a 20’s flapper this Christmas like Marilyn Monroe in Some Like it Hot? Wear lower pointed heels with a dress like this to really complete the 20’s look and you might want to add an embellished headband instead of some jewellery. You could go all out and even buy a faux fur wrap for those cold winter nights.

River Island – Grey embellished backless shift dress – £65

Marilyn Monroe dressed in 1920’s style in the film ‘Some Like It Hot’

5.     Embellished Dresses – Who doesn’t love a bit of sparkle at Christmas? Studs and embellishments can be a great way of adding a little extra to a dress. Why not try a deep colours such as dark blue and burgundy on dresses to stand out even more? You could pair a dress like this with either a pair of simple black heels or try and match the colour of the dress. You could also try and find a clutch bag that has similar embellishments on it.

Warehouse – Jewel Shoulder Shift Dress –£80

Merry Christmas and enjoy the parties!

Sophie is a 4th year student at the University of Nottingham, England. She is studying American Studies and would love a career in Journalism or Public Relations (preferably while living in NYC). Sophie has been a Fashion Blogger at HC Nottingham since she started at the University at Nottingham in 2012/13. She was also a Publicity Intern during her second year at HC Nottingham in 2013/14. She was a Campus Correspondent during her year abroad for HC Albany as well as contributing to writing for HC Nottingham. She is currently the Head of Publicity for Her Campus, as well as continuing to write fashion blogs. She is a self proclaimed fashion and make-up addict and she also enjoys travelling, reading, (excessively) watching TV shows and films, music, shopping and of course writing for Her Campus! 
Maddie studies American Studies at the University of Nottingham and is in her 4th year. She joined the Her Campus team on her year abroad at University of Illinois as a social media intern and now she and Anna are excited to open the University of Nottingham's chapter this September.