Review: Constellations at Nottingham Lakeside Arts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

5 STARS

One relationship, infinite possibilities. Ben Standish and Sophie Walton star respectively in this beautiful play as Roland, a beekeeper, and Marianne, a theoretical physicist.

The two meet in a succession of scenes that show the different ways in which their relationship could have panned out with subtle differences in scenarios, choices, reactions and even tone of voice. From here unravels a love story that explores how much free will and probability play a role in their encounter. Nick Payne suggests that all the actions Roland and Marianne take perhaps exist in a multiverse parallel to each other.

Now this all might sound rather dense and ambitious, but both are perfectly executed because of the stripped back nature of the play. With only two characters and two sets of lights, you’ll still find yourself drawn in from the onset of Roland and Marianne’s frankly very awkward introduction. Why? The perfect casting of the play’s leads who both deliver dialogue that is sometimes funny, often intelligent and always moving; meaning you’re rooting for this relationship in every possible universe.

What ultimately grounds this play is its depth of emotion and intensity – consistently sustained for the entire hour. 

Showing for only one more night, Constellations is one of The Nottingham New Theatre’s best plays this year and will stay with you for some time.

This production has been created in conjunction with The Nottingham New Theatre, for tickets visit their website:

http://newtheatre.org.uk/whats-on/

Edited by Georgina Varley

Image source:

http://www.lakesidearts.org.uk/theatre/event/3211/constellations.html

Naomi Upton

Nottingham

Naomi is a third year English student at Nottingham University and Co-Editor in Chief of HC Nottingham. Naomi would love a career in journalism or marketing but for now she spends her time beauty blogging, attempting to master the delicate art of Pinterest, being an all-black-outfit aficionado, wasting time on Buzzfeed, going places, taking pictures and staying groovy.