5 Budget Makeup Dupes You Need For 2015

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

MAC Lipstick in Diva vs. Sleek lipstick in Vamp 

Diva is possibly my all-time-favourite lipstick. Ever. It’s just wonderful. MAC’s lipstick formula is considered quite legendary by most, and Diva is an unbeatable wine-y shade which not only flatters all complexions, but makes your teeth look whiter and your lips look fuller. I don’t think you can beat a MAC lipstick, but they are now £15.50 a pop so perhaps a cheaper alternative may be better.

Sleek do a range of matte lipsticks which have fantastic staying power. The shade Vamp is a similar deep reddish wine shade at only £4.99. The only difference I’ve noticed is that, like most matte formulas, the Sleek is slightly on the drying side, so treat your lips to a nice moisturising balm beforehand.

Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer vs. Rimmel Wake Me Up Concealer 

This Nars concealer is a firm favourite among, well, everyone – and it’s smooth and brightening finish is probably the reason why. There are loads of shades too, which is always a positive. This one is £22.00 and may be worth the price if you need a good, solid, brightening concealer for pesky under eye circles or blemishes.

An alternative is Rimmel Wake Me Up concealer. One of my favourite beauty bloggers, the lovely LilyPebbles is always talking about this concealer. It costs £5.49 and at that price is certainly worth a try. Creamier than the Collection Lasting Perfection cult buy, but unfortunately still only offering a disappointing four shades, this product might be worth a look if you have a pale to tan complexion.

YSL Rouge pur Couture Glossy Stain lip stain vs. Revlon Colorstay Moisture Stain 

I can safely say first hand that the Revlon dupe here is as good as the original. I have the YSL stain in the shade 1, and the Revlon ColorStay in the shade 005 Parisian Passion. These shades aren’t exactly the same, with the YSL being more purple and the Revlon more of a burgundy, however the formula is very similar. They go on like a normal gloss but set into a budge-proof finish, and even when the gloss has worn off you are left with the stain. I might even go as far as to say the formula of the Revlon is more impressive as the colour is more even with no streaks at all. The YSL will set you back a costly £25.00 whereas the Revlon comes in at only £7.99.

L’Oreal La Palette Nude vs. Urban Decay Naked palette

In previous posts I have mentioned the glory that is the Naked palette. It’s perfect, with a huge range of nudes including matte and shimmery shades which have a beautifully buttery texture. I can’t recommend it enough – but I appreciate that at £37.00, it’s still a bit pricey (my tip is to wait for 15% off Beauty at Debenhams!).

This new palette by L’Oreal boasts ten nude shades, again in different finishes and comes in at £14.99 – a snip of the price. I haven’t tested this one personally, but most reviews seem very positive (and it’s only a matter of time until I give in and make it mine).

Sleek Rose Gold Blush vs. Nars Orgasm Blush

Nars Orgasm blush had a bit of a thing a few years back, and I know that for many makeup-enthusiasts it’s still a firm favourite. It’s a warm coral-ish pink with a gold shimmer running through it. Very pretty and definitely gets you looking forward to summer! This will cost you £22.50, erring on the expensive side.

Sleek blushes are easily one of the most pigmented products out there and the shade Rose Gold (£4.49) is a dead ringer for Nars Orgasm. Many bloggers have compared the two, with swatches even showing Sleek to be more pigmented than the Nars.

Have you got any favourite bargain dupes?

Photos by author

Edited by Jayde Richards

Hello there! My name is Jess. I am a third year Human Geneticist with a bit of a make up addiction. I am really excited to be on the Her Campus team this year and will be writing beauty blog posts fortnightly this year. Expect plenty of fuss about finding the perfect red lip and perhaps discover which pricey skincare products are really worth your student loan.
Sam is a Third Year at the University of Nottingham, England and Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham. She is studying English and would love a career in journalism or marketing (to name two very broad industries). But for now, her favourite pastimes include nightclubs, ebay, cooking, reading, hunting down new music, watching thought-provoking films, chatting, and attempting to find a sport/workout regime that she enjoys!