10 Ways to Survive the Christmas Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

So you’ve had nearly 3 months of freedom and independence but the semester is over and it’s time to head home. The thought of home cooked meals and heating is oh so tempting now but it does all come at a price. You haven’t had to do the washing up on demand or let your Mum know where you are every second of the day for the past 12 weeks, but within 5 minutes of re-acclimatising to family life, I can guarantee you will feel 14 again. Here are my 10 ways to survive the Christmas break without pulling random teenage strops and stressing about uni work.

1. Take advantage of the home cooked meals and heating

After weeks of being able to see your breath whilst cooking your supernoodles, your Mum’s food will never have tasted better. Who cares about the extra pounds you’ll put on? It tastes good and you haven’t had to cook it.

2. See people

Go and see your friends from home. It’s important to have a good catch up over a drink. After a crazy term at uni, a game of ‘I have never’ will be a great way of getting all the juicy gossip!

3. Do the chores

Did you return home with the biggest pile of dirty washing? It’s only fair that you help out every now and again and it will earn you brownie points with the ‘rents.

4. Text your Mum when you’re on the way home

She may not have cared that you only got in at 7am after Crisis last week, but that’s only because she didn’t know. To keep your Mum from losing her mind when you haven’t returned by 3am, just give her a text- it will make your life so much easier.

5. Quality time with the siblings

Now that you’re all grown up and leading your own lives, it is very rare for everyone to be in the same room. Spend some quality time with your brothers, sisters, cousins and everyone else. Even if it does end up in an argument over the rules of monopoly, it is what Christmas is all about.

6. Censor the stories

I’m not too sure your Grandma is going to be impressed with your antics at Crisis or tales of ‘the walk of shame’ so keep it clean. It will avoid you an intervention about your behaviour and keep the family thinking you’re an intelligent member of society who doesn’t stumble along Derby Road barefoot in last night’s clothes at 11am on a Thursday morning.

7. Do some exercise

After a heavy Christmas dinner and all the leftovers on Boxing Day, exercise is the last thing on anyone’s mind as you take up permanent residency on the sofa to watch the Downton Abbey special. Just do something, go for a walk or a run- you will not regret it!

8. Plan ahead with deadlines and revision

It is extremely unfair that the university think its ok to ruin Christmas with looming exams and coursework as soon as we return in January. If you plan ahead, you won’t be stressing out and pulling all nighters in Hallward the first week back. Set aside specific days to get some work done.

9. Don’t expect too much from New Years

The biggest shock on your return home from the land of cheap student deals is how expensive a jagerbomb is. You will long for a £1.50 drink in a plastic cup, especially on the most overhyped evening of the year. Don’t put too much pressure on New Year’s Eve to be as good as a Friday night at Ocean because it just won’t be.

10. Actually have a break

If you’re lucky enough to be going away on holiday or if you’re just chilling at home, give yourself a break from all the reading, revision and writing. You will return in January with a fresh mind, ready to jump back into uni life.

Merry Christmas everyone! Enjoy the break even if it is complete with family arguments and you regressing to a 14 year old.

Hannah Rought is a third year English student at University of Nottingham. She is successfully (?) managing her studies and being Head of Social Media for Her Campus Nottingham. Expect her to tweet #thirdyearwoes a lot this year, she doesn't want to graduate and have to become a real life grown up! 
Maddie studies American Studies at the University of Nottingham and is in her 4th year. She joined the Her Campus team on her year abroad at University of Illinois as a social media intern and now she and Anna are excited to open the University of Nottingham's chapter this September.