Must Have Workout Tops for Summer and Beyond

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Hitting the gym doesn’t need to mean sacrificing style and self expression, but it’s not always easy to find fun workout clothing. If, like me, you have trouble finding unique, comfortable workout tops, you’ve come to the right place!

Short Sleeve Shirts

While this shirt may appear pretty basic I like it because it is made mostly of polyester making it more breathable and lightweight than the typical t-shirt you may currently be wearing to work out. You can pick this shirt up at GapFit for $24.95. It’s perfect for any type of workout and comes in a variety of colors. 

Support ND alumna, Ann Margaret Mazur at Runners Love Yoga and buy this shirt on her website for $35. I recommend this shirt for all runners and yogis looking for a super soft shirt to wear while on the mat or out on the trails!  Make sure to explore Ann’s website for a variety of great resources regarding running and yoga. 

Tank Tops

Tank tops are perfect for stuffy gyms or during warm outdoor workouts.

While I like both of these tops, my favorite is the “NEVER COAST” tank. This shirt is a part of Flywheel’s spring retail collection. For those of you who don’t know, Flywheel is an indoor cycling class that began in New York and combines biking workouts with weighted arm exercises. If you’re interested in buying this shirt, head to a Flywheel studio or send them an email at retail@flywheelsports.com.

Crop Tops

I love that crop tops are becoming popular in the gym and I particularly like this crop top from Forever 21. It’s an affordable $8.90 and also comes in a turqoise and white combination. If you’ve never checked out Forever 21’s active wear department, head on over there immediately. They have some affordable, high quality and fashionable workout gear. 

This top can be found in the “Basics” section at H&M for $2.95 and also comes in a light blue and pink. The shirt is very light and great for those who like working out in tank tops, but prefer a looser fit. It’s also perfect for those who like the cut shirt look, but are pretty much incapable of cutting shirts without completely destroying them (aka me).

Singlets

Janji is a running apparel startup based in Boston dedicated to fighting the global water crisis and is special because it’s the first brand that allows runners to give back outside of racing. Each piece of apparel has a design inspired by a specific country and some of the proceeds from the sale then go to that country. For instance, this singlet is called the Kenya ‘High-Low’ Singlet and purchasing this shirt gives one year of clean water to a person in Kenya. 

Another top by Ann! This Summer Watermelon Singlet can also be found on her website for $40. Not only is this singlet lightweight and breathable, the color can really add a pop to your workout attire. 

Sports Bras

When the summer heat gets to be too much, don’t hesistate to rock a sports bra during your outdoor sweat session.

This sports bra is made by Without Walls and costs $38. Without Walls is a fitness brand made by Urban Outfitters that hit stores in early 2014. I’m pretty much obsessed with the line and suggest that you all check out what they have to offer. Not all stores carry it yet, so I would try ordering online or calling your local store to see what’s available there.

Do you have any favorite brands or a shirt you just can’t get enough of? Let us know!

Happy shopping!

The HCND application is now open! For more information contact Rebecca Rogalski at rebeccarogalski@hercampus.com or Katrina Linden at katrinalinden@hercampus.com

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us, and show our Instagram some love!

Images: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9

Sources: 1,2, 3

Abbey Murphy

Notre Dame

Abbey Murphy is a senior at Notre Dame from outside of Boston. She's majoring in pre-health studies and sociology and is passionate about all things related to health and wellness. She hopes to share information which will help collegiettes feel their best as they work towards reaching their goals.