He’ll Make You Swoon: Justin Yoon ’19

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

If you, like me, mistook the sounds people were making as our team lined up to score the extra point after touchdowns during the football games for booing, some clarification: they were yelling “Yoon,” as in Justin Yoon, freshman starting kicker.

Obviously Justin, the top kicking recruit in the nation, is good at football. Duh. But what you may not know is that this down-to-earth freshman star is also a major foodie, hockey lover and all around friendly guy.

Basics:

Hometown: Nashville, TN

Graduation Year: 2019

Major: Business

Dorm: Sorin

Relationship Status: In a relationship

On Notre Dame:

Why Notre Dame? I was looking for a school with academics and good football and this was one of my choices. It has a traditional atmosphere and something about it just felt right. The first time I was on campus was amazing. And the Notre Dame family is unlike any other.

What’s your favorite dorm tradition or part of your dorm life? I’m just one of the guys there. Everyone is so close, it’s like everyone is part of a family. I’m so busy with football, but I make sure to hang out with the guys in Sorin and we have round tournaments with ping pong or pool in the lounge. Also, we have late night talks and eat food late like ramen- we actually have ramen night.

What’s the best Notre Dame memory you have so far? I have so many, but if I had to choose it would probably be playing in the football games. But also coming back to Sorin after games and having the guys always cheering me on-they’re really fun to be around.

Favorite class/professor? Honestly, I like all my classes, and all of my professors are awesome. If I had to pick one, it would be Spanish just because I’ve never taken it before and it’s interesting to me.

Dining Hall? South- more convenient location and I like how all the food is right there.

Favorite spot around campus? I would say the Gug just because I’m always there, but really it’s Sorin by far because all of my friends are there and also I sleep there, which is nice.

Did you have a moment when you felt like Notre Dame was your home? The first time I came on campus I knew that this was where I wanted to be and it just felt right for some reason. The atmosphere too- everyone is so positive and willing to support you.

On Football:

How long have you been playing football? This is my 5th year.

Can you tell us about your relationship with your teammates? We are all really close to each other, it’s a phenomenal group. I couldn’t have any more support and respect for these guys and have the same for me. They have my back and I have theirs.

If you weren’t in football you would be… I would love to play hockey. I’ve been playing it for so long that it’s definitely a large part of who I am.

Would you rather people cheer “YOOOOON” while you’re kicking or nah? I enjoy it to be honest, they did it in high school too. It feels like everyone is supporting me.

Do you feel like a campus celebrity? I’ve always just been a normal guy. I love talking to people and sharing food so this is a very surreal experience. But I still feel very much like a normal guy.

What is the best piece of advice someone has given you? To always stay humble and true to yourself. I never want to lose my head and be that guy.

Do you have any advice for your many admirers? Have fun. Don’t take these four years for granted. Enjoy it.

As a recognizable campus celeb, Justin is probably the subject of many a snapchat creeper shot.

RaNDom Tidbits:

TV show (if you even have time??) I do enjoy the occasional Friends or Big Bang Theory episode.

Justin, who watches Friends, and his friends.

Do you have any strange habits? Other than completely zoning out in class sometimes, I consider myself pretty average.

What are your hobbies other than football? I love hockey and sports in general, but also walking around and talking with my friends. I also love trying new foods, which I haven’t done here much since I don’t have a car.

What’s your main pump up jam? A lot of Fall Out Boy.

Spirit animal? A dolphin, because it’s friendly and sociable, like me!

How do you de-stress? Actually, studying after football helps me. Also going out and talking to people. I think some people assume that since I play football I’m unapproachable, but I really love associating with everyone.

What’s something you’re really passionate about? I have a passion for football but also trying to stay positive all the time. I try to keep a free and open mindset.

What is something people might not know about you? I was born in Ohio and then I moved to Korea for 9 years before living in Nashville. Also, at one point my dream was to play in the NHL.

Be sure to say hi when you see Justin around campus, and don’t forget to join in the “YOON” battle cry on Saturday!

Go Irish, beat UMass!

XOXO, HCND

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on Facebook, Pin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Images: 1 3, 4, 5, 6, 8 courtesy of an anonymous Snapchatter, 10, 2, 7, 9, 11 courtesy of Justin Yoon

Hi everyone, I'm Marie! I am a freshman at the University of Notre Dame studying English with a possible double minor in Design and Journalism. I hail from Jacksonville, Florida, home of the Jacksonville Jaguars, lots of beaches, and winters that don't get worse than 40 degrees (apparently I'm in for a shock). I take pride in being a purple weasel from Pasquerilla West(peace, love, pdub:). I have unhealthy obsessions with watching sunsets, inspirational quotes, Friends (the tv show and my actual friends), running, drinking coffee, the beach, and of course, all things Notre Dame. I'm so happy to have found a home under the dome!