Spring 2012 Favorites: Fashion Blogger’s Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

As trendy as Vogue but much more accessible, the fashion blogger is a trusted source for every true fashionista. Eagerly looking forward to the warm weather that spring will finally (hopefully!) bring to Evanston here is roundup of a few of their top picks for the season!

Blogger: Lauren Felix @ La Petite Fashionista

Pants, Jacket, Dress

As a self-proclaimed “color obsessed fashionista” its no surprise Lauren is in love with trendy brightly colored pants. She can’t wait to try them in coral, mint and orange, all of which, were huge colors on the runway. She also a recommend a good denim jacket as a “good transition into spring.” To her, “it kinda just completes a look” and also “makes it more work-friendly.” Sundresses were missed dearly this winter, and Lauren recommends rocking them in dainty eyelet to celebrate their return.

Skirt, Blazer, Blouse, Pumps, Necklace

The peplum trend is the modern take on the retro hourglass silhouette. The peplum skirt, particularly, took over the runways of Jason Wu, Marc Jacobs and Vera Wang during spring fashion week. Here, Lauren has helped styled a demure black version for a casual internship/work setting. Tucking the silky blouse into the skirt focuses the attention on your waist for a true hourglass shape. Adding color in a brightly hued coral jacket and flamboyant burgundy pumps makes sure all attention is on you as you strut your stuff! Lauren loves this combination of pieces because it’s a great “update on a suit out but much cuter.”

Blogger: Audrey @ a lovely escape

Shirt, Shoes, Jeans

Audrey is in love with the color coral and so excited to add plashes of in her tops and pants. This color is amazing for being so universally friendly on skin tones and just a welcome burst of fun to wardrobes. She’s also keen on bringing out a classic pointed toe pump. It’s a “more refined” look and is “perfect for the workplace.” Audrey also told us that she’s psyched to start experimenting with the neon and pastel trend that’s been all over the runways. All these wonderful pops of color are so very welcome after a dark winter!

Jeans, Yellow Blouse, Blue Blouse, Flats, Necklace, Purse

Pastel jeans can appear to be tricky at first. If done wrong they can wash you out or worse…you end up looking like someone who never outgrew Strawberry Shortcake. Audrey has graciously given helpful tips in styling an outfit around a pair of these tricky bottoms. She suggests color-blocking with a yellow top and bright shoes. Since there is so much going on with color in this outfit she suggests keeping accessories “subdued, with one really simple bracelet or…old necklace.”

Blogger: Lynzy @ Sparkling Footsteps

Jacket, Pants, Shirt

Lynzy’s three must have’s include a go-to pair of “slim, cropped and printed pants. She’s also in love with finding “the perfect striped tee.” A modern update on the classic boat neck striped tee is a great addition to your wardrobe. Her final pick for this spring is perfect for dealing with crazy Northwestern weather: “a comfortable anorak jacket.” It’s a great transition price between the heavy parkas to the long awaited sunny days of summer.

Shorts, Belt, Sandals, Shirt, Necklace, Purse

The pink shorts suittrend may not have been the first choice for popular fashion trends this spring, but with some clever adjustments, it can be super wearable. Lynzy lent her styling skills and opted for a “lighter pink tee” instead of a suit jacket to match the shorts. She “would choose the monochromatic approach,” which would lend itself to a more streamlined and classic look. To finish off the look she adds a “…brown belt and brown sandals.” She adds that: “When choosing colored shorts, I always try to stick to the same color for the top. It makes the outfit flow and you can break it up with a belt in the middle.” Such good advice!

Blogger: Jessica @ Bows & Sequins

Wedges, Jeans, Hat

It’s all about color, color and more color for Jessica this spring season! When picking colors this season she suggests “picking a color that mixes back in with your wardrobe” so you don’t end up looking like a crazy person. Trying out bright colroblocking in a fun pair of wedges or flats is a fun and very easy way to wear this trend. Jessica is also excited for printed bottoms. She suggests checking out poppy designs, bright floral print, polka dots, and leopard prints to get your fix on this trend. Amidst all these trends, Jessica still stays true to the classics. She can’t wait to pull out her everyday fedora “that you can just throw on” and run out the door. 

Shirt, Skirt, Purse, Earrings, Flats

Wearing the neon trend can be very tricky, if you want to avoid looking too
costumey. Jessica finds that the “easiest way for me [to wear neon] is to add tops
of neon to my existing wardrobe. She also suggests colorblocking in the outfit. So
here we have a bright yellow neon top with an oatmeal skirt “which helps makes
it feel more relevant and not so 80’s.” Adding some very simple accessories and
one “fun factor” accessory “that adds flair to any outfit” completes this gorgeous
spring look.

Hope these tips get you pumped for an awesome spring fashion season!

Kylie Gilbert

Northwestern

Kylie Gilbert is a senior Journalism major and French minor at Northwestern University. She joined HC as a freshman as a contributing writer and has been campus correspondent since her sophomore year. When she isn't writing, online shopping, or reading fashion magazines, she loves watching The Mindy Project, Modern Family, How I Met Your Mother and everything on Bravo.