A Husky’s Guide to Boston Happy Hours

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Like Liz Lemon, I love to eat bar food. I know. It’s unhealthy, but thankfully I do it infrequently enough that I can pretend it doesn’t count. Living in Boston however, food and drinks can run up a large bar tab, but thankfully someone invented a thing called a Happy Hour.

Unfortunately, serving discounted drinks at “Happy Hours” in Massachusetts is illegal, but many bars and restaurants offer discounted food on weeknights during Happy Hour (or whatever they call them) instead to entice you to their fully priced drinks. Some bars even hold contests for you and your friends to win your own Happy Hour that do offer some discounted drinks as well as food. Below are a list of some popular Northeastern bars that offer Happy Hour specials, so be sure to check them out!

5 Napkin Burger – A little bit farther from campus, but you do not need to be 21 to get the happy hour food here. Every day from 4-7pm, they offer $2 hamburger sliders (original burger, veggie burger, or Italian turkey burger),  $0.50 Hell’s Kitchen wings, $2 for a tray of 4 pork taquitos, and $2 hand rolls (spicy tuna and cucumber, spicy salmon and avocado).

Flann O’Briens – For those of you up near Mission Hill, this bar offers Happy Hour everyday from 2-6pm with $5 specials and buy one appetizer, get one free. They also hold trivia on Tuesdays, live bands on Thursdays and karaoke on Saturdays.

Howl at the Moon – This bar calls itself a high-energy dueling piano bar, but it has so much more to offer located in the Financial District of Boston. You can enter a Happy Hour contest and if you win, you and your friends can enjoy a night with no cover charge, some food, and $4 drinks. They also offer ½ off appetizers to everyone on Tuesday nights. This bar also holds events for pretty much every holiday so if you are 21+ and looking for something to do, check out the events on their website. Get there early because this place is always packed but lots of fun!

Jerry Remy’s – While this bar is a bit farther from campus, you don’t have to be 21 to attend happy hour. They offer happy hour on nights when the Red Sox don’t have a home game from 4-9pm.

• Monday/Thursday:  35 cent wings (BBQ, Buffalo, or Teriyaki), $1 sliders (beef or pork)
  • Tuesday: $2 bar bites (mini quesadillas, taquitos, and mini rem-dogs), 2 dine for $20 (one appetizer and two entrees), and all desserts are 2 for 1
  • Wednesday:  $5 burgers, Trivia Night
  • Friday: $3 nachos (4-7pm)
  • Saturdays: Make your own Bloody Mary starting at 10am

McFadden’s – This bar does offer a fairly cheap “After work bar party” (Happy Hour) with some $3 drinks and ½ priced appetizers. Just enter your name in their Happy Hour contest at the bar and if you win, you will be able to enjoy this special along with any friends that mention your name at the bar that night.

McGreevy’s – Owned by Ken Casey of the Dropkick Murphy’s, McGreevy’s is a fairly well known Irish pub located on Boylston across from  the Hynes Convention Center. They have plenty of things going on from PBR dart night (Mondays at 8pm), Trivia night (Wednesdays 7-9pm), to Sunday Football Season parties.

• Every Weekday: ½ priced appetizers from 4-7pm
  • Sunday: 25 cent wings all day
  • Monday:  25 cent wings from 4-11pm
  • Tuesday: $1 cheeseburgers

Our House East – This bar has plenty of happy hour and late night events. Check out their calendar for a full list of events from karaoke to corn hole.

• Every Weekday: $3.95 food from their “Hungry Hour” menu from 5-7pm
  • Monday: 25 cent wings with the purchase of a pitcher
  • Tuesday: Buy one pitcher of beer and get a 1 topping pizza for $2 from 8-11pm
  • Thursday: Free cheese pizza with any purchase from 9-11pm
  • Sunday: Burgers for $1 from 8-11pm

Uno Chicago Grill – Uno’s offers a variety of cheap food from Sunday-Friday, 4-7pm and 10pm to close and is very close to campus. They offer the majority of their appetizers for half price these days, you just have to sit in the bar area and ask for the snack hours menu. Check out their snack hours menu online here.

—-

Photo Credit: http://www.capturedcaptions.com/post/6599290599/you-think-hed-buy-me-mozzarella-sticks