This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

I am a self-proclaimed nail polish junkie. I admit it. I spend more money on nail polish than any person should, and I can’t stand the thought of my nails not being painted. I’m also far from creative, but recently I’ve been having some fun with my nails instead of painting them a plain, solid, color.
With a new season comes new nail trends, and nail polish lines such as Essie (my personal fave) and O.P.I. have released their Winter 2012 collections. With this change of the season comes the change of colors. So, as much as it pains me to pack away my favorite hot pink and sea blue nail polish from summer, winter gives us the opportunity to wear some edgier colors.
I’m going to share with you some of the best winter nail polish colors and easy, trendy designs to spice up your nails…because not only will you look stylish but you’ll smile every time you look down at your hands.

Colors:
Dark colors are huge during this time of year, and there are many colors that are a great alternative to black. They’re edgy and stylish, without having a gothic look to them.

1. Dark purple: My favorite is the classic, ‘Lincoln Park after Dark’ by O.P.I. This color is a favorite across the board and I promise it’s one that you’ll put on over and over again.

2. Navy blue: Essie’s color ‘Bobbing for Baubles’ is a dark sapphire color. It’s dark enough for winter, yet soft and feminine.

3. Blood red: Another great color by Essie is ‘Wicked’, every Boston girl’s favorite adjective. This dark red color is WICKED cute ;)

4.  Dark green: This dark green color called ‘British Racing Green’ by Butter, is a bit edgier than most but is still super cute.

If you’re still having separation anxiety from your fun summer colors, fear not. You can still have some brightness to your life!
   5.Red: Revlon red is an iconic color that works well for all seasons. This bright color will cheer you up – especially during the holidays!

6. Orange: This color is fun and can be summer-y, but also gives a great winter vibe.Try Sally Hansen’s Complete Salon Manicure in ‘Kook-A-Mango.’            

7. Gold: Metallic colors, especially gold are fun for winter because of their sparkly shine, and are great for that New Year’s Eve party you’re going to. Try Essie’s ‘Mirrored Metallics – Good as Gold.’

[pagebreak]
Designs:

1.  Half-moon design: This design is simple and allows you to use two colors. So when you can’t decide choose both! Follow these easy to-do steps by Lauren Conrad:                                                                             
  2. Stripes/polka-dots: For the creatively challenged (yours truly), pick up a nail art pen by Sally Hansen. These pens are finely tipped, like a pen, and make it easy to draw whatever design you’d like! I personally love doing polka-dots and stripes. I also prefer the white one because you’ll get the most use out of it.                  
  3. Sparkles/different color on one nail: I’m a huge fan of glitter and sparkles, but there is definitely such a thing as a glitter overload. To make sure you don’t OD on sparkles, paint your nails a solid color, and then paint your ring finger a certain shade of sparkles.                                                                            
  4. Ombre nail: Okay, I’m not talking about having a rainbow on your hand, but this works great if you choose one main color, and then paint every other finger a different shade of that color.

Melanie Dostis

Northeastern

Melanie Dostis is a journalism major at Northeastern University. She has been involved with Her Campus since her sophomore year, being elected co-correspondent her junior year- a position she is thrilled to continue in her last year. She lives a writing-filled life and wouldn't have it any other way. She is currently interning at Boston Magazine and is a correspondent for the Boston Globe and USA Today. She can usually be found back in her home-roots of wonderful New York on weekends, exploring her second home in Boston, or often back in her family roots of Ecuador, gorging on massive amounts of Hispanic dishes....Follow her on Twitter @MelDostis. HCXO!