This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Over the last few years, vaping has become the new rage. Are e-cigarettes that much safer than traditional tobacco products?

Courtesy of Vignette

Recent studies have shown that harmful metals have been found in the liquid and vapor of JUUL’s and other similar products. I don’t know about you, but I am not interested in ingesting metals.

Courtesy of Tenor

These metals are leaking from the heating coil of the e-cig into the liquid or vapor itself. Lead, manganese, chromium, and nickel have all been found in startling concentrations in the vapor and liquid. Some research has shown that these levels exceeded the amount the Environmental Protection Agency claims as safe. Not to mention that one JUUL, which has 5% nicotine, is equivalent to one pack of cigarettes.

Courtesy of Tenor

E-cigs have been deemed a useful tool when used as a smoking cessation device for cigarette smokers. In the last few years, however, vaping has become the latest craze among youth. The JUUL is designed to look like a USB, and is inconspicuous, hence its popularity in middle and high school kids. In addition, the fun flavors are used as a discreet marketing tool to appeal to a younger population that has never smoked.

So take Dwight’s advice and go forth! Don’t smoke, and definitely don’t vape. There isn’t enough research to say if it’s actually safe or not.

Courtesy of Giphy