Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Cooking Collegiette Style: Mashed Potato Bowl

Posted Nov 20 2012 - 12:20pm

It’s midterms season which generally takes up most of my energy and I usually just want some nice home cooked comfort food to help relieve the stress. Today I will teach you how to make your very own Mashed Potato Bowl just like they make at KFC except you get to control what goes into it so it can be as healthy or as fattening as you would like- no one else has to know. If you go on the right day, you might even be able to make your own version of this in the dining hall. Below are steps to making the basic components of a mashed potato bowl as well as the best places to get these parts if you don’t want to cook.

Part 1: Mashed Potatoes and Gravy
There are plenty of options on how to make your own mashed potatoes and also quite a few places you can get them already made if you are feeling lazy. If you don’t want to cook your mashed potatoes or gravy, Popeyes, Outtakes and the dining hall all have good mashed potato with gravy options. Second you can buy instant mashed potatoes (this comes in a box and is a powder, just add water) that taste just as good and are super easy. Finally, you can do what I usually do, and make your own from scratch. If you want to make your own gravy, I recommend McCormick Brown Gravy Mix, just follow the directions on the back of the packet which you can usually find in the spices section of the grocery store.
Ingredients:
1.       One large potato
2.       2 Tablespoons butter
3.       2 Tablespoons milk
4.       Garlic salt and pepper to taste
Steps:
1.       Cut the potato into large chunks.
2.       Boil a pot of water with the potatoes in it so that the potatoes are fully immersed.  Continue boiling the potatoes in the pot until they are soft and break apart when you poke them with a fork. This generally takes about 10-15 minutes.

3.       Place the potatoes in a bowl and use a whisk or a fork to mash them by just continuously pressing down and smashing them.

4.       Once the potatoes are a smooth consistency, add the butter and milk.
5.       Sprinkle with garlic salt and pepper to taste.

Pages

You Might Also Like...
Fill out my online form.