Lights, Lyrics, and Living the Dream: Carizma Thomas’ Story

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

Being on stage in the lights, holding a microphone, wearing that perfect outfit, with a roaring crowd below and all eyes on you is a dream we have all secretly desired at some point, and Carizma Thomas made that dream come true for herself this year.

“If you can see it, feel it, and believe it, you can achieve it,” a starry-eyed senior said after her chance at fame these past few months. Carizma Thomas, a NC State senior in communications here, performed original songs and choreography on B.E.T.’s 106 & Park.

Thomas submitted her songs and music videos to B.E.T. through their online submission form at the beginning of the year and received an email asking her to audition in New York City. She was instantly booked for two shows and a month later was called to compete in the Female Pop/HipHop/R&B competition on the Wild Out Wednesday show.

Thomas couldn’t recall a time when she was nervous throughout this process. “When I first hit the 106 & Park stage, I felt as though I was meant to be there,” Thomas said. The crowd, including her family and friends, screamed as if she was already a well-known artist.

On May 9 Thomas won first place and the chance to return on August 15 for the All-Star Edition. Thomas said, “though I didn’t take home the trophy, I still felt as though the opportunity to perform on that stage on live T.V. in front of millions was already a win for me!” 

Thomas’ dream is to become a Hip Hop/Pop artist, signed to a major record company. She started pursuing that goal when she founded the African American Media Club at NC State University and started working as the Promotions Assistant for MIX 101.5 WRAL-FM.

“I feel as though I was born to be a radio personality or a T.V. talk show host,” Thomas said. Many people who perform on 106 & Park are contacted by record labels after their performance on the most prominent T.V. network targeting African American audiences.

“At this point,” Thomas said, “I’m just waiting for that phone call!”

Campus Correspondent and Founder of Her Campus NCSU - kristiedemers@hercampus.com Kristie Demers is a Senior English major at North Carolina State University. When she isn't studying or busy working on campus, Kristie enjoys running, writing, reading, photography, and painting. She volunteered as an athletic trainer for the Cheerleading team freshman year and developed an unwavering devotion for the Wolfpack. This Wisconsin natives passions include traveling, spending time with family and friends, and loving even the little things in life. Although she is down to earth and loves making people smile, Kristie is hard working and welcomes challenges. All that this happy-go-lucky girl dreams for the future is to write for a magazine and live at the beach. In the meantime, her heart lies in the bricks at N.C. State and beats with every chime of the Bell Tower!