A Semester at Disney with Amy Jones

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

It has always been a dream of mine to work at Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida. I will never forget walking down Main Street the last time I visited, about three years ago. Disney really does create a magic that can’t be found anywhere else, and I can only imagine being a part of that creation. A Murray State University student, Amy Jones, did just that. Amy, a senior psychology major, applied to attend the Disney College Program (DCP) for the entire Fall semester of 2016. I was able to contact her after applying to go to the program myself. She generously agreed to do an interview with me, as I tried not to fangirl about having a Disney cast member in my messy dorm room:

Her Campus Murray State: Why did you want to do the Disney College Program?

Amy Jones: It was kind of like a spur of the moment decision. Who wouldn’t want to work at Disney? I applied and it was almost like a no brainer to accept it because you get the experience of working with a company that is known all around the world. 

HCMS: What was the process of getting in?

AJ: I had to apply on the website, and then do a web interview that primarily consisted of personalitiy questions. I heard back from them months later, so I had kind of lost hope by then. It was a brutal wait. I remember I was standing in line at the cafeteria when I finally got the email that I was accepted, and I had to refrain from screaming right in the middle of everyone.

HCMS: What was your role there?

AJ: I worked at the attractions in Tomorrowland in Magic Kingdom. I got to work at 6 out of the 8 attractions there- Buzz Lightyear, Monster’s Laugh Floor, Carousel of Progress, Stitch’s Great Escape, Peoplemover, and Astro Orbiter.

HCMS: Did you enjoy your role and what was expected of you?

AJ: I actually really enjoyed it because working at the attractions and shows, you had something to do all the time, so I never got bored.  My main priority was safety of guests, so I always had to be alert. Within our rotation of positions in the attractions, sometimes we had to maintain the stroller parking areas, which was nice because most of the time I could just blow bubbles and give out stickers to kids.

HCMS: What was your favorite attraction to work at and why?

AJ: That’s so hard to choose! My first thought was the Monster’s Laugh Floor because it was mind blowing to see how it actually worked behind the scenes. Plus, it never got boring when I got to work inside the theater since the show is different every time. It’s honestly a really funny show.  But, I also loved working the Astro Orbiter.  It is up high on top of the Peoplemover, so it was usually nice and breezy, and at night I had the most perfect spot to see the castle and watch Wishes (out of the corner of my eye of course, because Safe-D begins with me!)

HCMS: What was your favorite part of being at the DCP?

AJ: My favorite part was getting to see the things that I would never be able to see otherwise. Even though they offer backstage tours, you only get to see certain parts. The first thing I saw when I went into the tunnels was Cinderella eating a cheeseburger in a T-shirt.

HCMS: What was one of your favorite memories of being there?

AJ: There were so many amazing moments during my semester at the DCP.  It’s almost impossible to pick one favorite memory because from riding out a hurricane with my roommates, handing out candy at the Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party, riding Tower of Terror a million times, watching the fireworks in front of the castle, experiencing Space Mountain with the lights on, and creating magical moments for guests on a daily basis, my semester was packed with unforgettable experiences.

HCMS: How did going to the DCP affect your progress at Murray State?

AJ: It honestly didn’t. I was able to work it all out ahead of time. I planned it out so that I could work around it. I’m going to be staying an extra semester because I got my scholarship deferred. I still kept up with all of my friends and everything.

HCMS: How do you think your experience at DCP will help you with your career in the future?

AJ: Having that I worked for Walt Disney World is definitely a great résumé builder. Disney has some of the best customer service out of any corporation. I plan on working with people, so I think that will help.

HCMS: Do you have a different view of Disney now that you have worked behind the scenes?

AJ: A little bit, but not in a bad way. I definitely see Disney World it in a different light now because when you visit initially as a guest, you are full of wonder and get to experience all of the magic like it is. Now I know how a lot of the magic is made, so the magic I see there now isn’t the same type that I saw before I worked there. Now I realize the kind of selflessness you have to have to work there, and how magic truly comes from inside each of us. We all have the power to do simple things to create magic for someone else.

HCMS: What were some of the benefits of working there?

AJ: We had the inside scoop on a lot of neat events that were going on, like the taping for the Disney holiday special that aired on TV.  I got be a part of the audience for different performers like Gavin DeGraw and Kelly Clarkson, as they were being filmed for the special.  I was also in the background for the taping of a Disney Channel music video they did on Main Street.

HCMS: Would you do the DCP for another semester if you had the chance?

AJ: Yes. I’m actually thinking about doing it again. I might also try to apply for a professional internship there.

This interview made me even more excited for my time at the Disney College Program, which I recently was accepted for during the Spring 2017 semester. She never stopped smiling while talking about her experiences. I can’t wait to be a part of the magic myself!

*All photos provided by Amy Jones

Clare Froehlich

Murray State '19

Clare is a senior Public Relations major at Murray State University. She is the senior editor for her university's Her Campus chapter. She can usually be found at the closest dog park or planning for her next travel destination.
Jordyn Rowland

Murray State '19

Jordyn is a public relations major and film studies minor at Murray State University, where she has been for three years as an undergraduate student. She is an avid watcher of anything created by Shonda Rhimes, but her favorite is by far Grey's Anatomy. She enjoys traveling... a lot. Her favorite places so far are Los Angeles and Berlin. She really loves her dog and would adopt 50 more if she wasn't allergic. Jordyn's plans include running her own TV show and trying every drink on the menu (including the hidden one!) from Starbucks.