Cut Off Game Strong: Advice on When to Get Rid of Those Toxic Relationships

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

Photo via Tumblr

Thanks to the adversity I have faced at the end of 2017 and within the first few weeks of 2018, I have developed a new mindset. My parents have instilled in me that “you are who you surround yourself with” mindset, and although there were moments and times where I tried so hard not to believe that, I could not push it off forever. Once I came to terms with and understood exactly what they were saying, it was too late. 

Hanging with a crowd who I thought were true friends landed me in some trouble that had me taking the rap for everyone and no one cared until I cut them all off. Within 12 hours of the incident occurring, I had numbers deleted, my social media profiles set on private and pictures taken down. This group of ‘friends’ was angry with me because of circumstances out of my control at the time, and they got even angrier when I decided I wanted nothing to do with them. 

Friend situations aren’t the only times when the cut off game needs to be strong. I used to spend a lot of time with this guy, and I was crushing hard on him. I was crushing so hard I looked past all the hell I was put through mentally. There is nothing healthy about having someone play guessing games with you, or making wondering if you’re the only person they’re talking to like this, or if they are even thinking of you at all. Even if–especially if–you’ve had to go way out of your way for them? Cut. Off. 

You are who you surround yourself with, and you should never let anyone make you question your worth, in any circumstance. People come and go, but the importance of surrounding yourself with a handful of good ones is something I cannot stress enough. If there is anything I wish I could take from 2017 and started in 2018, it would be exactly what my parents have been trying to tell me all along. Short, sweet, and to the point: choose carefully when it comes to the people you surround yourself with.

Thumbnail image via https://i.ytimg.com/vi/BQxx0ESyNjk/maxresdefault.jpg

Mika Vickery

Murray State '20

Mika Vickery is a senior at Murray State University, studying Public Relations with a minor in Occupational Safety and Health. She has been a member of the Murray State Her Campus chapter since it first launched on campus, and she now helps lead as Vice President of the organization, as well as managing their Instagram (@HCMurrayState). She enjoys hanging her ENO in the quad, looking up Pinterest recipes, shopping, and traveling.