Why I’m Thankful For My Big Family

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

With Thanksgiving just around the corner, it’s hard not to think about the many things we’re all grateful for. When doing so, I realize just how lucky I am to have such an incredible family. I have people that love me, make me laugh and are there for me no matter what. There are endless amounts of reasons why I’m thankful for my big family.  

1. I’ve learned to be tough and take jokes.

Having three older brothers, I am an expert in being someone’s personal punching bag. I may not have liked being called “four eyes” when I was in my glasses and pigtails phase, but it sure has helped me today. Having siblings has made me develop a thick skin, and it’s something I’ll always be grateful for.

2. I’m used to having to share space and live with others.

When going to college, most girls aren’t exactly sure what having a roommate will be like. Coming from a big family, this was no strange task for me. Sharing a bathroom with three teenage boys and another teenage girl teaches you plenty. I’ve learned to wake up early before the hot water is gone, to always check to see if the toilet seat is down and to use my time wisely before someone starts banging on the door, screaming that it’s their turn.

3. There were always snacks in the cupboards.

We were that family that had two carts grocery shopping — one just for cereal boxes. There was never a shortage of cosmic brownies, nutty bars or oatmeal cream pies in my house. Sure, they only lasted a few days due to the hearty appetites of my four siblings, but nonetheless, there was always sugar to overdose on.

4. My list of childhood memories is endless.

From building forts in the garage to playing football in the front yard, there was always someone to have fun with. Having both brothers and a sister, I’ve got the best of both worlds. When you come from a big family, there’s an endless amount of imaginations to choose from.

5. I know just how to handle boredom.

Couldn’t find something to do? No worries, I had plenty of people to hang out with. My brothers may not have liked me spying on them in the basement, and my sister didn’t like me barging into her room, begging her to entertain me, but it was always an easy boredom fix. Best thing about having a big family is that there’s never a dull moment.

6. I always have someone to complain to (and not just about mom and dad).

For those of you who have older siblings, you know the look a teacher gives you when they ask, “Oh, are you so-and-so’s younger sister/brother?” You sigh, avoid eye contact and say, “Yes, yes I am.” From teachers to classmates and even your other siblings, you’ll always have someone to vent your frustrations to.  

7. I have people there for me through thick and thin.

To be honest, I haven’t had a problem that at least one of my siblings couldn’t solve. When times are tough, I lean on my family. Being the youngest of five gives me four amazing people, all with much more experience than me, that I can go to for advice. Even if I just need someone to listen, my siblings will be there no matter what.

8. I have people who will always be honest with me.

I know I can count on my siblings to tell it like it is. They’re family, so they’re not going to sugar coat things. If I have any questions or need an honest answer, I go to them. Sometimes the truth hurts, but it’s exactly what I need.

9. I actually look forward to family events.

Wait, you’re telling me that everyone can come to Christmas this year? We’ll all be in the same place at the same time? It truly is a Christmas miracle. Our holiday events consist of an absurd amount of food, multiple football games on TV and several rounds of euchre.

10. I had older siblings to break-in my parents for me.

Your curfew was 11? That’s odd; mine is 12. You were grounded for having friends over when mom and dad weren’t home? How unfortunate. My parents have been around the block a time or two, and let’s be honest, when you’re the fifth child, they’re at more of a crawl than a sprint.

Feminist | Editor | Lesbian