This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

With Thanksgiving tomorrow, we are reminded to be thankful for all that is special in our lives. Between stressful exam weeks, hectic days at work and relationship troubles, sometimes we forget to take a step back and appreciate all that we have. Whether it’s family, friends or even material possessions, we don’t always recognize our privileges. Before any holiday drama triggers your anxiety or the post-turkey food coma hits, press pause and remember to say “thank you.”

You may not even need Thanksgiving to be thankful for all of the positive, happy and important aspects of your life. But, if you did need the holiday as a reminder to slow down, that’s OK too. The most important thing is that you make it right. Whether it’s your mom, dad, partner or dog, give credit where credit is due. Remember your daily privileges, and even when you feel like the world is against you, try not to forget all that you remember each Thanksgiving.

Because of our diverse campus, loving families and amazing connections, many of us have the same reasons to share thanks. Here’s what some of our fellow Spartans and members of the surrounding community are thankful for this Thanksgiving:

“I’m thankful for all of my amazing and supportive friends and for the wonderful opportunities I’ve been given this year to make a difference in my community and in the lives of those around me.” Lyle Dew, Senior Kinesiology and Women’s Studies major

“I’m thankful that I live on a campus that boasts such a broad range of diversity, and I’m even more thankful that I have a job where I get to engage so many people in making this campus a safer place.” Marc Goldberg, Sophomore Japanese major  

“I’m thankful for family, especially siblings, and for a warm bed to sleep in every night.” Erin Gray, Junior Journalism major

“First, I am thankful for the opportunity to obtain a formal education. Being a Spartan has granted me the privilege to explore parts of the globe that many people I know never have and never will. I enjoy having conversations that matter in my university, something that may be taken for granted by some. Next, I am thankful for my family and friends, my unwavering system of support. I am also thankful for my good sense to learn from my mistakes and strength to move on from hard times. Finally, I am eternally grateful for hashtag activism and the people who are willing to create the various grassroots organizations and other entities in place to be a voice for the marginalized and unheard, whatever the basis of that marginalization may be.” Tiffany Harris, Senior Social Relations and Policy major

“I am thankful for life. I think a lot of times we take it for granted. We too often focus on things we don’t have, the things that go slightly wrong, and we forget to just live. I am thankful to be living life to its fullest potential. I am thankful for my family, especially my siblings — who I view as my kids — that hold a special place in my heart. They hold me up when I’m having my worst days. I am thankful to be their role model and to show them how life should be enjoyed. I am thankful for my girlfriend, who is my best friend, my meditation, my happiness and my drive. She has taught me about how to get through all of the stressful times in life. She keeps a smile on my face and truly believes in my abilities. I am thankful for God, for so graciously blessing me with all of these things that I listed above.” Whitley Henry, Senior Kinesiology and Psychology major

“We are thankful for the ability to be the voices of female collegiettes on campus and to have to have our work published on a widely-read, online platform.” Her Campus-MSU, campus magazine  

“I am most thankful for my family, friends and good health!” Hannah Holliday, Freshman Journalism major

“I’m thankful for having a family and friends, for all the good things I had and the good ones I will have.” Juan Sanchez, Okemos resident

As for me, I am most thankful for how spoiled I am by all of the caring, generous, positive and loving people in my life. Whether it’s my mom feeding into my Only Child Syndrome, my best friend having Starbucks ready for me whenever we hang out, or my girlfriend making sure I begin and end each day with a smile on my face, I am given so much that I know that I (wrongfully) take for granted.

On a deeper level, I am thankful that I am able to spend this Thanksgiving with both mine and my girlfriend’s family. There are so many LGBTQ individuals who are unable to visit family because they are not accepted. Many people, LGBTQ-identified or not, are also unable to spend time with family because of travel, military obligations or even deaths in the family. I am so thankful that I live with the love of my life, my parents are only hours away, and I have friends that will go to the ends of the Earth for time with me.

For all that I have and to all that are in my life: thank you. Words aren’t enough to express my endless gratitude, but it’s a heck of a start.

Feminist | Editor | Lesbian