RECAP: How to Clean Up Your Writing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

1. Create multiple paragraphs.

Even though you’re not modifying the content, having multiple paragraphs in a story is going to make it easier to read and more appealing to the eye. If you wrote a blog with three large paragraphs, try cutting each paragraph into 2-3 smaller mini-paragraphs.

Example A: I think we all can agree: relationships are hard. As strong as your relationship may be, every couple experiences ups and downs. For me, moving to college only amplified these normal trials and tribulations within my relationship. In high school, relationships are relatively simple. You’re on a similar schedule as your significant other, you know the same people and you’re going through the same things. However, college is very different; and little did I know, the high school to college transition would be so drastically different that my relationship would experience incredible stress.

Example B: I think we all can agree: relationships are hard. As strong as your relationship may be, every couple experiences ups and downs. For me, moving to college only amplified these normal trials and tribulations within my relationship.

In high school, relationships are relatively simple. You’re on a similar schedule as your significant other, you know the same people and you’re going through the same things.

However, college is very different; and little did I know, the high school to college transition would be so drastically different that my relationship would experience incredible stress

2. Use headings, boldface and italics to your advantage.

Big, blocky text can be really overwhelming to a reader. It is one of the biggest reasons that they will close out of a page, without reading your story. Headings are a great way to organize your text into smaller sections. Boldface and italics are a good for highlighting your most important ideas, allowing a reader to skim the text and still get the main idea. Be Careful: Too many headings and excessive boldface and italics can look very unprofessional.

Example A: As I see it, there’s only one way that you can truly celebrate the national day of love, without the work of cupid’s arrow: by spending it happily with yourself. After all, you rock! Don’t you? At the end of the day, there isn’t anyone that knows all about you quite like you do.

Example B: As I see it, there’s only one way that you can truly celebrate the national day of love, without the work of cupid’s arrow: by spending it happily with yourself. After all, you rock! Don’t you? At the end of the day, there isn’t anyone that knows all about you quite like you do.

3. Check for run-on sentences.

Run-ons make your content difficult to follow, and they lack professionality. Know when to end a sentence and when not to. This also means mastering compound sentences.

Example A: Her Campus is a student-run organization that creates its own content every week and it also holds events for promotion and recruitment aiming at getting more site views and gaining new members which would allow them to produce more content.

Example B: Her Campus is a student-run organization that creates its own content, and it also holds events for promotion and recruitment, aiming at getting more site views and gaining new members. This would allow them to produce more content.

4. Eliminate unnecessary adverbs and adjectives.

Adverbs and adjectives are used to modify verbs and nouns, respectfully. These words are meant to make your writing more descriptive and realistic. However, it’s easy to misuse these words.

Example A: Her Campus is a cool, student-run, female-only writer’s organization that creates its own weekly content every week, and it also always holds events for promotion and recruitment, hopefully aiming at getting a lot more site views and gaining new, dynamic members. This would allow them to efficiently produce more content every week.

5. Avoid restating your point.

As writers, we are often so focused on making our point, that we restate it one too many times – all in different ways. Readers will notice this and get bored; they want new information.  

Example A: Her Campus is a student-run organization that creates its own content, and it also holds events for promotion and recruitment. In other words, the organization tries to gain more members and increase traffic because it creates its own content.

Example B: Her Campus is a student-run organization that creates its own content, and it also holds events for promotion and recruitment. In other words, the group welcomes all of the help it can get.

Feminist | Editor | Lesbian